Looking at a Remington 700

jtyson

First of all, hello everyone. This is my first post here. I have been lurking for a while mostly reading about handguns. However, it is time for me to pick up a hunting rifle. Haven't been since I was a kid and want to get back into it.

I have a shot at a Remington 700 BDL in .270 for $400. HOWEVER, the gun is not pristine. The original owner for some reason felt the need to etch his name and social security number into the barrel. Also, the stock is a little dinged up. Not terrible, but enough to where I won't worry about dragging it through the woods. The gun will also come with an old redfield 2x7 scope that will be getting replaced in the near future if I pick it up.

A few questions... Is the price worth it? I am just looking for a good hunting rifle. I have actually been looking for and prefer a .308, but with the similarity of the calibers I don't want to pass up a good deal. Also, I don't re load now. I might like to in the future, but don't know if the .270 is any better or worse of an option for reloading. I have been told that there is more available for the .308

My intended game will be mostly mule and white tail deer, elk and maybe some sheep. Pretty much everything available in NM. Eventually I would like to hunt the larger game moose, brown bear, caribou, etc... but don't think that will be in my budget in the next few years so I will get a gun fit for that when I come to it. I know .270 is a sufficient load assuming I do my part. I just want to know if the .308 has enough advantages for me to pass up the .270.

I appreciate you all dealing with my newbie questions that have probably been beaten to death. I have searched and read so many conflicting opinions I don't know what to think or who to believe. But if $400 is a deal I shouldn't pass up, then I will buy the gun and deal with the rest later. If its not that great, then I will keep shopping. Thanks again!

Jeremiah

I can speak to the price, but I have both a .270 rifle, and a rifle in the .308; the 270 is more of a hunting round and as such I have only found premium ammo for it. Whereas the .308 can be more of a military round, so there are reloads, and lots of full metal jacket rounds out there for range practice, if that makes any difference to you.

I dont know about there but around here there are enough decent Rem 700's for sale in different calibers that I would probably pass on that one and save my money for one that was nicer.... but thats just me, I also have more preference to the 308 than the 270 and again no real rhyme or reason just my thing.

I too prefer the .308 simply for the fact that its a heavier bullet.

Remington 700s are really hard to come across here. Really, all hunting rifles are hard to find used at good prices. I have come across 3 in the past 3 months checking all the local classified sites. 2 in .270. this one for $400 the other in really good condition for $650. One in .308 for $750. Also found a bare bones Winchester 70 in .308 for $650..

jt, 6/4/11

I have a similar Rem. 700 in .270 Winchester but the ADL model. Mine is 43 years old and still shoots 1 and 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards with handloads. Mine has about 740 rounds through it so far. It's a great rifle and does what it is supposed to. The one your looking at sounds like a reasonable deal. If it has a little wear on it the big question is "how does it shoot?" If the owner will show you that it still shoots well then it is worth getting. Overall it's a great rifle in a great caliber for a fair price. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

oldandslow

Thanks for the input. The tried and true performance over time is why I lean towards a Remington 700. Have thought about the Savage guns as well, but not sure I trust them. I don't re load right now, but may in the future. Do you have much experience with ammo off the shelf and accuracy? Honestly I am sure no matter what I shoot the gun will be more accurate than me, but how bad are loads off the shelf?

jtyson said:
Thanks for the input. The tried and true performance over time is why I lean towards a Remington 700. Have thought about the Savage guns as well, but not sure I trust them. I don't re load right now, but may in the future. Do you have much experience with ammo off the shelf and accuracy? Honestly I am sure no matter what I shoot the gun will be more accurate than me, but how bad are loads off the shelf?

First of all, welcome to the forum.

The Remington 700 is an iconic rifle, and Remington has made and sold quite a few of them. There is lots of aftermarket support for the rifle and lots of shooters like them. I own one, a .308 hunting rifle and I'm pleased with it.

I also like Savage rifles, and I don't know why you don't trust them. Savage rifles have made a name for themselves as accurate, durable rifles at a popular price point. I own four of them and I'm pleased with each of them. Very accurate, very durable rifles.

but how bad are loads off the shelf?
For the most part, not that bad, actually. I've heard good things about Federal Fusion ammo and most of the ammunition from the major manufacturers is good stuff. However, handloading lets us tailor loads to our individual rifles and tweak our ammo for the best performance.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Hard to beat a Rem 700 bdl in .270 Win in decent shape for $400. The .270 is a fabulous hunting round, especially for shots beyond 200 yards. The .308 may be a good range round, but the .270 is better for hunting Western game IMHO. Trajectory is flatter than the .308, creating a longer point blank range when using the right ammo.

The 130 grain bullet is king in the .270.

JP

I bought a new Rem 700 SPS Buckmasters .270 this year. Shoots like a dream and new it cost $599 and had a $40 Remington rebate so total cost was $549. That's a brand new rifle (no scope of course) for only $150 more then the used one you described.

I use factory loads and factory Hornady Custom 130 gr. ammo groups under an inch (almost a 1/2 inch) at 100 yards.

My issues with the Savage has no real personal experience just hear say about issues from friends. I have not shot them, but have read a lot about them really improving lately.

What is the aftermarket like on the savage vs the Remington? I know the Remington has plenty available but don't know about the other. I won't be spending massive money right away, but wouldn't mind having something I could customize down the road.

Only one thing wrong, with this Rem 700 in 270 Win.:confused: You say the original owned has etched his name and his SS number on the barrel! :eek: :eek: :eek: OMG!!! What did he use, a"cold chisel", or a big rock?

Jeremiah welcome if this is your 1st high power rifle think about looking at someone elses name on your rifle, I had a pre 64 M70 /270 once that had that very same thing I liked the rifle, but with the name on it it had to go.

Both calibers you are looking at will do and have done a very respectable job on game for years.

A couple things to consider long action vs medium action. The cost of ammo is somthing to consider, if you don't reload,. There is a lot of 308 ammo on the market at a good price, where as the 270 will probably be more expensive. I would guess that if it's your 1st high power rifle your gona want to shot it as much and as often as you can so ammo price is a factor.

I am sure no matter what you decide to do will be the best for you. All of us who responed to your tread all wish you the best and welcome to the brotherhood of shooting and hunting:)

@Bones looks like he used one of those little cheap vibrating engravers. But that was done by the original owner about 30 years ago so I don't know if they even had those then.

@homesick This will actually be my second high power rifle. First was a 30-06 (some chinese brand I can't remember) when I was a kid. I don't like the fact that the name is on the barrel, but it isn't a deal killer for me. If the price is right, I don't care. I can always replace a barrel later on if I want. As for ammo, that is a concern because I don't reload. I am not opposed to learning how I just don't know how time consuming it is. I work for myself and don't have much free time as it is.

I want to say thanks for the warm welcome and helping another newbie out with the same old questions! I appreciate all the knowledge from those who are more experienced than I am.

Where do you suggest going for ammo? Either .270 or .308 just for target/practice. Obviously I will spend for the better ammo when hunting. So far from what I can find though, the .308 is so much cheaper that will be enough to outweigh the benefit of a slightly cheaper rifle in .270. Or at least I think it will... I have a really hard time passing up any good deal on a gun. Someone tell me, with the barrel being engraved, does that kill the value enough to warrant me passing this one up?

The .270 is a sweet rifle. The last one I owned was a Steyr Mannlicher Pro, and I took plenty of game with it. Remingtons usually have good triggers.

I have never owned a Savage, but have read stories of them rusting badly in Alaska, even the so called stainless versions...

@WildBill45 I have heard otherwise about the Remington triggers. I have heard they are way too heavy and the weak point in accurate shooting. I can't say first hand if thats true though.

I have heard both good and bad about the Savage. But I can't find anyone saying much bad about the Remington 700 line

For that price I'd look for a nicer one myself. Walmart sells Remington 700 ADL's with synthetic stocks and a basic package deal scope for $400, or even better yet a Savage Model 10 or 110 depending on the caliber, also with a scope and this one has the accu trigger also. While these wouldn't have nice wood stocks, this would be a lot better option imo. I'd go for something like this new before a used and abused rifle for the same price. That being said, I think the Savages are much better rifles than the newer Remingtons. So If I had to have a Remington, it'd not be a new one.

I have also heard that about the newer Remingtons. However this gun is at least 35 years old. But after debating, unless the guy comes down on price, this gun just isn't worth it.

I might go take a look at the savage. Are there any particular models to look at? Any I should avoid? I think I am going to stick with the .308 for ammo purposes now and reloading options down the road.

Back