Longrange (600 yd. ??)

Joerg Wenzel

Inactive
I'm looking for a new/used rifle to hit targets at about 600 yd (not ft.), but I really don't want to go with a .50 caliber (kinda expensive ammo). Any suggestions ??

MUCH long rang shooting (ie camp perry ) is still done with the venerable old 308 or 30-06 cartridge in a sturdy bolt action rifle with a bedded action. Many start with a remmington 700 or winchester action and a heavy barrel but savage has been making inroads in recent years as well with their 110 tactical and 112 series of target rifles.

Read VARMINT HUNTER Magazine there are ALWAYS great tips for the true long range enthusiast.

There has been a lot of discussion and interest in the 300 winchester and 338 magnum cartridges as well in long range circles but a solid action and a good scope are PRIME REQUISITES.

I'm not much of a shot past 400 yards (an that's extreme for me) but I'm sure with the right rifle and practice I could do it.

Dr.Rob

How about a Remington Sendero or Winchester Laredo in .300 Winchester Magnum.

Send it off to a good accuracy smith for pillar bedding, recrowning, and trigger tuning.

Spend the rest of your budget on a good scope and a golf cart to transport you to and from the target...

The 30-06 or the .308 Winchester both do well at 600 yards. It's at 800 yards that the .308 Winchester goes transonic.

Mind you, in military parlance, 100-300 yards is short range, 300-600 medium, and 600 plus long.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

If you load the 155 grain Sierra Palma match bullet, you can stay above transsonic out to 1000yds in the .308. Something about the higher M.V. and a superior ballistic coefficient gets it there.

My Sendero .300 Win Mag gave me .70 MOA out of the box, with a Simmons scope. With some smithing and a better scope, it might do better. Pillar bedding on these is not necessary, given the aluminum block bedding that's built-in. Accuracy potential is in the load, the trigger, the bolt lugs, and the sighting system.

.300 Win Mag is getting to be quite popular lately-- cartridges are readily available. But it's expensive to reload for. Much easier to find .30-06 Match.

At 600, .308 is all right.

From what I have read the 308 is pretty tired at 700 so dont expect much knock down past that. I believe that sierra makes a 175 MKBT or 190 MKBT also designed to remain super at 1000 for the 308.

308 will make 600yards easy (also 600 meters)
30-06 has more gas (10-20% more powder helps). For shooting 600 to 1000 meters I like the 30-06 or the 7.62-54r (almost same cartridge and Moisin's are cheaper). I know people who claim 308 hits at 1000 meters heck have fired a M60 that far myself in the service (as far as the gunner can see to adjust fire). .50s are loooong range guns like 2000 meters + (unless you like shooting them and a M2 is a lot of fun) As far as hittin hard at that range, Ive been told that a 308 has more residual energy at 500 meters than a 5.56 has at the end of the barrel

Ok, so far I understand that the 30-06 Caliber is probably the one to go on 600 to 1000 yard.
The weapon of choice would be a Remington 700 or Savage 110/112.
Hmm, any more ideas, price wise, cause I don't want to spend the my allowance for the next 6 month (just kidding). Am I right if I assume that a workable package would be in the $800 price range ??
Joerg

Model 1981 Mosin Nagant (Fin manfacture/rework $200-400) (Russian Mosin $60 - $200?) Case of 800 rnds 7.62-54r silver tip $90

Now that cheap shooting

but this is over Iron sights

The choice would be dependent on what you intend to shoot at. If youre going to be hitting paper targets, I'd go with the 308 simply b/c of better match ammo availability and much info on accuracy reloading. If youre going to be hunting a variety of game then the 30-06 would probably be better. As for the price. The Savage would definitely be the lowest. I think I bought my 10FP for abour $380 vs. the Rem 700 at $699. The savage was pleanty accurate in 308. I could consistently shoot <.50" groups at 100 yds. Same as the Rem 700. The only advantage to the Rem was that the trigger is easier to adjust and there are a whole lot of accessories available for it (stocks, mounts...) If you are really strapped for cash, go with the Savage, which will most probablyout shoot you, and spend the saved $$ on good glass and ammo.

Hi Joerg,

Depends on what your shooting. If your talking about shooting at fixed targets, it's pretty moot. Once you know your "come ups" on your sight for the range, it's a matter of windage and trigger control.

If your thinking of unknown distances past 400 yards, get a cheap rifle, good scope, great trigger and a Laser range finder. The exact caliber is simply not as big a factor.

The two killers for long range shooting is range estimation and wind. The laser can fix the range problem, but the wind has to be experianced.

Giz

Joerg: Check out my post here, "Me and Ma Bell"...

Lone Star: Were I planning on 600- to 1,000-yard shooting as my "Regular Thing", I would most likely build a 7 Maggie. I'd use a medium barrel, 26"...Canjar trigger, and use one of those yougly, non-walnut stocks :). No opinion, yet, on what power Leupold scope. I'd start out loading with the 168-grain Sierra Matchking.

Gizmo is correct. Either .30-06 or .308 is a good choice; years of actual use and excellent selection of proper match bullets. There are no mysteries when using .30 cal. As pointed out, range estimation (unless on a KD range) and wind are critical variables. As to equipment, a glass bedded Win. 670 sporter and K4 Weaver shoot extremely well for me to 600 yds and beyond. Have been using this combination for almost 15 years now and doubt if I could have more enjoyment or shoot better with a $2000 rifle. Take a CMP clinic and fire some high power matches and you will learn a lot...

------------------

The Sendaro in either .300 Win. Mag or 7mm Rem. Mag will do the job. As previously stated, you don't need any pillar bedding with the aluminum bedding block. Some varmint hunters "skim bed" the action on the bedding block, but I'd shoot first and do that kind of work only if necessary. The Rem. trigger is easy to adjust and can be adjusted down to <2# easily. You don't have to go to a gunsmith to tune your Rem 700 trigger. There are several excellent aftermarket triggers (best is Jewell) for the 700.

I see a lot of guys suggesting the 300 Win Mag, but for my money, it kicks more than I would enjoy for extended shooting sessions. I've been shooting an AR15 in full distance High Power matches for a couple of years, and the little 223 with 80gr. bullets does very well at 600yds. So, for anyone wanting something with a little more poop at longer range, what's wrong with a good 243 Win. with 107gr.MatchKings? A M70 with a good 24-26" bbl. would shoot good groups at 600. The 6.5X308(260Rem) would do even better, and the selection of good, high-BC match bullets is great for long range shooting. I'd much rather spend a day shooting a good rifle in one of these calibers than any of the magnum calibers.

I dunno how I stack up as far as distance shooters go, but I have a nice Mosin-Nagant (7.62x54), that I put a new stock and spoterized it. Tossed a decent scope (Var 6-20x) and I can pretty well hit a milk jug a 600+ meters. (Sorry, just a big plinker, I don't really care about MOA, I just like blowing things up :D) Rifle was cheap ($80) stock for "all weather" ($50) Sporter kit ($30) and scope (I don't want to talk about it... My wife might read this :)) I shoot cheapo crappy mil stuff from a bazillion years ago too. With good stuff (Have to readjust my zero for it) it shoots really well
Just my two bits :)
Have fun

Flatlander: It's not so much that I'd argue with you on your choices, but to point out that in varmint hunting, ranges are obviously more variable than at a formal shooting range. And wind-drift affects the light-weight bullets more, particularly as you get past 300 yards...

Generalizing, there is a better chance for a hit on any given shot, with the faster-speed "heavies".

FWIW, Art

Back