Long range with a 270 win questions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Buff, Emcon is right. Your never aiming parallel to the ground or you couldnt hit anything. Each gun and scope is a little different as to where it needs set but never are you aiming 100% parallel at every distance, it just doesnt work that way.

WOW! I must be doing something special. I usually hit what I'm aiming at and not the ground.

You are. You are aiming above your target and in your words "lobbing them in" Yes, even at 100 yards. I know you don't believe this, but look at a balistics table or run some numbers. Even with a 100 yard zero, there will be a point before 100 yards where the bullet will be above the point of aim.

You think gravity doesn't start happening until after 300 yards? It is not as evident at 100, but it is still there.

If you somehow had a perfectly level rifle range, and set your rifle perfectly level as well, parallel to the ground, and your target was 100 yards away, with the bullseye the same distance from the ground as the rifle bore you would hit 1 to 2 inches low, depending on which bullet you are shooting.

You compensate for this by angling the rifle up ever so slightly, so you hit the bullseye. Yes, even at 100 yards.

Mr O'Conner is watching

Bad talking the 270 is unwise Jack O'Conner is watching, you have to die some day. You might have to have a Lucy moment and have to do some splanin when you get to heaven and Mr Jack ask you why. Besides that it's been doing a stellar job taking deer and elk for years without magnum recoil.
bb

Last edited:
BB, Elmer was never kind when he talked about the .270 Win. IIRC he called it a "good coyote rifle." Jack O'Connor was the advocate for the .270 Win.

Elmer did His share of animal killin with the .280 Dubiel, now how far away from that "good coyote rifle"is that really???:p

Last edited:
I am attempting the same thing as you. I have a .300 win mag I've been shooting long range with and I want to try to make my ruger .270 a long range gun also. I shot a deer at 856 yards with my .270 and I've had lot of success in the 500 yard range but I wonder if some modifications can help it out toward 1000 yards. Let me know if you have success with this. Thanks

5 year old zombie thread. We're not just beating a dead horse. We're eating a dead horse.

Episode-1-Rick-Horde-760.jpg

How is a German 8mm Mauser superior to a 270 at long range? :confused:
I say build the 270, great round, your gun! Maybe you could get a 1x9 twist instead of the 1x10 standard twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back