Long range scope under $1K

I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 1st gen and a Sightron SIII 8-32 and love them both, no problems with either one

If you get the LEO discount I'd register with Leupold and grab one of hte VX-3I LRP scopes. They're a spiritual successor to the discontinued MK4 line of scopes.

I'm far from an expert on scopes--but have tried a few top-tiered scopes in the 2-4K range and generally speaking I think what "they" say is true--they are worth the money, even though I personally don't have the skills to fully take advantage of them. A good place to go to get info on scopes is the sniper's hide; those guys live, breath and dream about scopes--but be prepared as it gets "rough and tumble" there at times.

What scope you use is a hugely personally and application specific thing IMO. I've heard great things about the S3 and vortex scopes that fit your budget range. The Nikon Black does as well, though in my opinion the quality of Nikon scopes seems to have fallen off a bit in recent years. For all-around use quality hard to beat a Nightforce.

I recently bought a Leupold VX 5HD 5 x 35 for my 338 Lapua--it is a spectacular scope (and recently upgraded) and while pricey well worth the money IMO; especially if you can get a big discount.

The Leupold VX 5HD is a nice scope. I have one on my hunting AR in 3-9x. I've got one expensive scope, a Vortex Razor. But it's the most expensive and heaviest scope I own. Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 FFP in 5-24x are the scopes I use the most. Nice scopes for the money. I paid around $550 for each of them. The Gen 2 is even better. I've seen them on sale for $700-$800. That will probably be my next scope.

As i mentioned, i'm using a Sightron STAC 4-20X50 MOA.
I do shoot 600 yard F-Open with it. Originally with 7mm-08AI, now with 284 Win.
Put a SIH 3-9X40 on a friends Savage 110 in '06. He loves the glass!

I just got my Field Target in today 4-12X40 MOA. This is going on my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag, that i also shoot out to 1,000 yards with, just not matches.

Back