Long range scope recommendations...

I upgraded my scope on my precision rifle last year and ended up getting the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. I got advice from a guy who is an instructor and the two final choices were Nightforce or Vortex. After checking them out thoroughly, I decided on the Vortex because I just couldn't see that I was getting anything more for the extra $600.

I also purchased a Vortex 6-24PST,FFP, ect. and put it on a MDL22 Cooper VDM, 6.5-284, 26", 1/8. I like it fine so far. I look at it as getting everything I'm going to use in an optic under $1000.

The Nightforce is more scope for that $600 than you may realize. It's 34mm, rather than 30, and the zero stop is much better than the Vortex, system of stacking shims into the turret to make an approximate zero stop. The Nightforce also has quite a bit more internal adjustment, than the 30mm PST.

AS for the optics my eyes can't really see any difference, but my eyes are a joke nowdays.

With the Vortex, you get nice features, for under $1000, but don't expect the refinement of a scope costing almost three times as much.

and ordered that Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44, and saved 200.00 off Bass Pro price which was 544.00 after taxes

Very nice; report back later after using, please.

I have to say, even though it's not an American brand, I'm glad to see the nearly-"overnight success" of Vortex, giving me faith in the free market, particularly the word of mouth that the internet provides..... It's definitely an "if you build it, they will come" success story. Give an impeccable warranty, and great value, and the masses will buy. Gotta love it.

One you thing you have to always think about is weight. The IOR/Valdadas and a lot of these great glass makers are well, great, but generally so very heavy. IIRC, Nightforces are a great value in part because they're a smidge lighter than most, but yet still in essence bombproof. One reason I like Leupolds and especially Accupoints is low weight. I stick to 1" tubes to save weight for most rifles, and nearly all hunting rifles. I like ALL Trijicon products -never seen them put out any crap. Things like weight and eye relief are more important in practical terms than most people give these aspects credit for. Field of view, too, for that matter. Sure, repeatability/durability is imperative, and great glass & good features are wonderful, but that's not the end of the story.

Last edited:
I love my Trijicon. I was seriously thinking of putting a Nightforce SHV on my 700 LR project but the more I think about it, the more I'm considering another Accupoint.

Also thinking about a Weaver Super Slam Euro with the #4 Reticle in 4X20X50 and FFP reticle. I just hate not being able to put my hands on it prior to buying.

Back