Long range scope recommendations...

Dearhunter61

Guys,

I'm finally going to go ahead and get my custom rifle built and I'm going to need a good long range scope. I know it's not a lot of money but I'm already going to spend around 2k for the rifle and I simply don't have the $$$ to spend for a scope. So I'm looking for one in the 1k range that will perform. So what's out there that will work? I love my Zeiss Conquests but have been told these do not track well and for the money I can do better so what is better?

Thanks,

Mel

I would agree, for the budget minded Vortex is hard to beat. Their Viper PST 4-16x50 is a FFP illuminated reticle with mil/mil turrets. Street price is $750 give or take. That's hard to touch in any of the other scope lines.

I'm about to get flack from those who believe the more money you spend, the better shooter you are.

When I was shooting for the AK NG rifle team, I built a Model 70 300 WM for 1000 yard matches. Had to shoot both Irons and Scopes. I took the Redfield Olympic sights off my 22 for the irons and used the Weaver T-10 for the "any sight" matches. That was in the 70s, it worked great then and still works great today.

So when looking for another scope to put on my Model 70 Match Rifle I got from the CMP I decided to see if the New Weavers worked as well.

So I ordered this one from Midway. Its ever bit as good as the T-10, tracks well and has a Mil Dot Reticle. It tracks well. Super clear and being 10 X mirage doesn't wash out the sight picture.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...ts-mil-dot-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

If you shoot rapid fire, or longer strings, you still need a barrel ban to keep the heat waves off the barrel from confusing you reading of mirage but that would be true of any scope.

The scope is Mil - Mil meaning you have to understand the clicks are .1 mil instead of 1/4 inch. Just remember that each click is .36 in instead of .25.

Weaver has several other very good scopes in their line. I have several, and I've never had any problem with them. Never had a tracking problem with my Weavers.

I recently bought that Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP and put it on my 260. I like it, and think I'll grow to like it even more. There were quite a few other options, such as Weaver and SWFA's scopes, but the Vortex was the lightest of the scopes that met my $ target. And, for hunting purposes, I really like the illuminated reticle. I got the MRAD reticle.

I love my Zeiss Conquests but have been told these do not track well and for the money I can do better so what is better?

Who told you that?

Vortex is hard to beat for the money and I plan on putting one on my next long range rifle. I know a number of people with them and when shooting their firearms I've been very impressed by them.

I concur with the above...

If you are looking for the best value, VORTEX!!

You need to spend a good deal more to get a better scope. Ive got 3 of them, the viper pst 6.5x24 MRAD, the 4-16 and the 1-6

All different purposed, but ALL great products for the money. The no B.S. Warranty is just an added value

I agree with Kraigwy's comments on Weaver Model T's. I've used their T10, T16 and T20 scopes and were probably the best buy for the money.

But Weaver only makes T24 and T36 ones these days. So, I suggest a Weaver V series 4-16X which I used on a custom .300 Win Mag and it did nicely on 1000 yard targets.

Most of the money on high dollar scopes pays for the optics that maybe 1 in 1000 will benefit from. It's not necesary to count the eyelashes on a pasture poodle 876 yards away. Besides, if the temperature's above freezing, the heat waves will blur them anyway.

With whatever scope you get, mount it on your rifle then put an optical collimator in its muzzle. Adjust the scope so its reticule goes onto the collimator center reference. Move each adjustment two clicks off in one direction then back two clicks. Do this again but use only one click in each direction. If you use a binocular half to look through the scope, that'll magnify the image and make exact placement of the reticule on the collimator reference a lot easier and precise. If the reticule ain't exactly on the collimator reference where it started from, send that scope back to its maker and get another one or a better one.

"Boxing" shots on paper to check a scope's repeatability only works well when the rifle, its ammo and the shooter produce no worse than 1/10th MOA groups; every single time. So, boxing shot holes is a waste of time, ammo and barrel life as far as I'm concerned. You're not going to get good data on a scope's 1/4 moa clicks with a rifle-ammo-shooter system that shoots 1/2 MOA at best. The "yardstick" needs smaller graduations than what's measured to get good information.

In order to use most of your scope's adjustment range in elevation, you'll need a sloped base to mount it on. 10 MOA through 30 MOA bases are available. I suggest that if your scope has a 40 MOA adjustment range, a 10 or 15 MOA rail is best, then you've got some wiggle room should the barrel axis not be perfectly aligned with the scope base axis. But you'll end up with somewhere around 30 MOA of use in elevation with a 15 MOA rail.

Good info on scopes...

http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

Last edited:
SWFA Super Sniper, Vortex Viper, Bushnell Elite Tactical, or Sightron S3 on a budget.

If you could go $1,050, this is what I'd do in your shoes (if weight wasn't an issue):
http://swfa.com/Sightron-10-50x60-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P45301.aspx

This is quite a bit of scope for the price:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx
It's amazing how consistently good the reviews are, on all the Super Snipers.

This one is on closeout for $190 off regular price:
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-HS-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P60991.aspx

Oh, and if you want to spend way less than $1K, get the Weaver T series mentioned above, or perhaps better yet, a fixed Super Sniper in 10, 12, 16, or 20x. They are all only $300. I have the 20x42 and it's a very nice scope.

Last edited:
IMHO Nightforce is the way to go. It has plenty of MOA adjustment to it.

Yeah and with zero stop and dialable turrets it's twice to OP's budget. Unless he were to opt for the SHV line but then you lose the zero stop and turret option.

I had a Weaver Tactical with the EMDR in it. I like the clarity and function of the scope just fine, the reticle was just too busy for me in hunting situations and the illumination sucked. Overall for the money it was great though.

I really like the Trijicon that replaced it but the triangle isn't a great benchrest reticle IMO.

The Burris XTRII is no question, the best value optic on the market right now. Everything you need for precision shooting, rugged, and better glass than the SWFA or the Vortex.

There are several versions, but the 4-20 and 5-25 are probably about right.

SWFA has a KILLER deal on Vortex closeouts now...

The 6-24 x 50 Viper HS is on closeout (discontinued) for $399- it's a $600 optic...

I'm really tempted to buy one even though I don't need one (but never know when I might need an excuse to buy a rifle to put it on...:D)

I could swear I had seen the 6.5-20 Viper on closeout as well for only $300- but doesn't show now (?)...

Go for the Viper HS, and quick. They won't last, and you won't be disappointed.

Should you decided to "upgrade" at some point, you'll be able to re-sell it for more than you paid for it. Check their resale prices, because of their lifetime "VIP" warranty, used sell for darn near new prices.

Emcon5, the scope still has the same adjustment range with or without a tilted base. A scopes just able to use more of it when it's axis is several MOA below the bore axis.

Emcon5, the scope still has the same adjustment range with or without a tilted base. A scopes just able to use more of it when it's axis is several MOA below the bore axis.

I know, it just lets you use more of the available adjustment range where you need it. The total adjustment range does not change, the usable adjustment range for LR shooting does increase.

I say Vortex as well. I have two of the HS-T's, 4-16 x 44. (Basically a PS-T minus FFP and illuminated reticle.

I've found no issues shooting 1000 yards with them. Hands down best customer service I've ever dealt with as well.

I went to the url posted by Unlicensed Dremel and ordered that Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44, and saved 200.00 off Bass Pro price which was 544.00 after taxes....
Im totally tickled enough to say Thanks Dremel, study hard and go get t;)hat Licsense!!

Back