Long Range Scope Decision

Burris has a forever warranty...just won't need to use it as much as with a Vortex.

Could be the case, though I haven't had any issues. When looking I did run across a few reviews on Burris that indicated warranty work was rejected due to the user's "abuse" of the scope. Vortex has a video saying they don't care what the problem is, they will fix it without questions. Reviews back that up. Was the tipping point for me.

Nathan,Unless you are planning on ranging targets with the reticle,you don't have to limit yourself to a FFP reticle. I shoot both FFP and SFP reticle scopes on my Long range rigs,and prefer SFP mainly because the reticle size stays the same thickness throughout the magnification range of the scope. Glass clarity-Tracking-Repeatable adjustments are more important to me.
I have 4 of the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes in SFP,and I shoot out to 1200 yards with them. The tracking is spot on,they all repeat excellent,and the glass is very good.
My Swarovski PH 4-16x50 is FFP as is the new IOR Valdada Recon 4-28x50 that's on my new build,but they are in a different class of optic than you're looking to spend.

Nightforce glass has never impressed me in the NSX series,the Sightron SIII glass is better,IMO. They are built like tanks though!

The Athlon Cronus has a big fan base on Accurate Shooter and Sniper's Hide. I put an Athlon Midas SFP 4.5-27x50 on my 260 AI build,and it has been a pretty good scope so far. The glass is close to the Sightron SIII glass,it tracks good,and repeats good. For a $600 scope,it has a lot going for it.
They also have a new FFP scope under the Cronus line,the Ares line. They are priced in your price range at $850. You might want to check them out if FFP is what you want.
There's plenty of video's on YouTube on them.

I recently purchased a new Vortex PST Viper 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C MRAD Gen I for $699. I like it. But from what I've read the Burris XTR has the better glass. But I like the Vortex warranty that fix it not matter what happens to it. My Razor HD has the best glass of any scope I own. More money of course.

Last edited:
Back