Long range rifle

The budget is just a hair thin to get what you need buying new. I just got the RPR in 6.5, and added a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50mm That optic can be had for $860 if you shop well. Throw in a decent mount and you have a super nice set-up right out of the box. I am also new to long range so I started at 100 yrds and practiced until I was putting bullets through the same hole consistently. Now I have moved up to 200 yrds and am getting close to that result. Just going to take my time and move up in distance. The nice thing about the Ruger is the trigger is very good, and I like the adj. stock, although it gets mixed reviews. Point is for $1400 +\- it needs no modification , just a lot of expensive ammo to eat.

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but why is the most lauded gun in this thread the RPR? All of these are available in 6.5creedmor or .308 and the LRH is available in 300wsm or 300winmag. I've also read great accuracy from them and some of them are under $1000 leaving the rest for quality optics. And these are just the long range guns I'm familiar with in my research, obviously Remington makes their versions along with offerings from Tikka, CZ, and I'm sure that other forum members could contribute as well. Is it the ability to use AR platform aftermarket accessories? The 10BA Stealth has long rail and the 110 has an even longer rail with an all aluminum chassis and adjustable butt stock.

I'm being serious, please chastise me if I'm just plain ignorant, but I don't see what the RPR has so much over these selections from Savage.

Savage Stealth: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/8552/Savage+10BA+STEALTH+6.5mm+CREEDMOOR

Savage LRP: http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Savage-12-Long-Range-Precision-Bolt-Action-Rifle/productDetail/Rifles/prod99999042248/cat100003

Savage LRH: http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Savage-11-111-Long-Range-Hunter-Bolt-Action-Rifle/productDetail/Rifles/prod99999042238/cat100003

Some of it aesthetics, some of it is adjustability, some of it is functionality, and some is performance.

To me, the RPR offers a simpler switch barrel method, and that is not insignificant when a guy goes through a barrel a year.

Shooting the RPR and Savage side by side with three brands of match ammo, the RPR was measurably better with all three.

I also wanted 6mm and the RPR came in a caliber I already had dies, guns and bullets for. Not true now, but it was one for me.

The RPR does have more adjustability in the stock system than the Savages.

Having the handguard all around the barrel allows the use of bungee bags and such which the Savages lack.

Alrighty, awesome. Thank you, those all make sense. Just didn't know what the difference was myself and it is indeed my own ignorance of long range shooting. I would say that you could just go aftermarket stock, but you could do that with any action, so the RPR makes sense as a stock gun.

The RPR, to me, is the tacticool rifle for tacticool long range matches where you have timed stages, certain round counts needed, fast reloads, etc. for the average casual person just wanting to shoot for fun out to 1000 yards, the ruger offers very little (more preference than necessity) over a conventional stocked medium to heavy barrel rifle. Just starting out, I'd buy a good scope, then a rifle like the Tikka T3 Tactical (there's that word again), savage 12 LRP or even a model 10 in the caliber I wanted (I have both the Tikka and Savage 12 in 6.5 Creedmoor) then practice. No beginner will be consistently hitting targets at 1000 yards. It takes practice and a lot of range time which means a lot of ammo.

Go to youtube. Lots of video of guys shooting the Ruger Predator 6.5 at ranges from 1000-1800 yards. I have one in 6.5 and 308. Both are absolute tack drivers and I paid under $400 for each of them. Of course I have no place to shoot much past 400 yards. I have one place that I can go to a few times a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7A3K69YoTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA6HtIgfuC8

I've seen posts from people who've shot both the Predator and Precision rifle. They report no difference in accuracy, but at least double the cost for the Precision rifle.

After sending her to a Long Range Shooting School where she used the school's 6.5 CM, she fell in love with that round.

So I bought her a Ruger Precision in 6.5. After playing with her rifle I kind of got attached to the 6.5 also. I have other LR rifles so I came up with the excuse I needed a light weight Deer/Antelope rifle so I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM for about 1/3 the price. The RAP was just under $400.

Turns out that RAP shoots about as good as the RPR. Heck of a light weight deer/antelope rifle and it'll shoot a lot farther then I can.

My main long range rifle is a AMU Built Model 70 in 308. I've been shooting the 308 in competition for nearly 40 years and kind of got attached to that round.

I tend to base max range of my target rounds on the point where they go sub sonic.

My go to 308 round (175 SMKs @ 2600 FPS MV) goes subsonic at about 1150 yards. My 6.5 CM out of my 22 in RAP barrel, (140-143 had a MV of 2650 fps) goes sub-sonic at about 1500 FPS).

Of course I don't hunt at those ranges, but I do bang steel, both will do 1000 yards, but I'm seriously thinking of maybe moving to the 6.5 CM as my LR gun. It'll shoot as far as my 300 WM loads, but cheaper and a lot easier on me since I'm getting recoil shy in my old age.

Anyway, I don't think one could go wrong with the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM as a budget long range rifle.

Back