What would you do?

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 19 38.0%

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
remember when looking at recoil tables that there is an assumed rifle weight that goes into the math that makes the table. Those smart guys made an estimate of the average weight of a rifle in each caliber.

Weight makes a huge difference. A 6 lb 30-06 is almost un-shootable (for me), but a 9.5 lb 30-06 is no big deal.

Might take a look at the 25-06. IMO its one of the best muti-purpose rounds you can get.Fast,flat,low recoil Whitetail killin rifle whatam,Its sure worth a look.:D

Alright did a little research last night, as far as ammo prices in my area, .243 is obviously the most abundant and cheapest, however I found the 6.5 creedmore to be cheaper and more abundant than the .260 surprisingly.. I think I made my mind up about what caliber I am going to order:

6.5mm creedmore

Because-
Cheaper than .260 (where I am)
6.5mm bullets are easy to find for reloading
uses same hand load powder that you can buy at the store
extremely high bullet coefficient
more knockdown power than .243
lower recoil than .260
magnum-like capabilities
a nice modern round in general

the only cons I could justify-
Hornady ammo only at this time
brass is pricey
possibility round might die off -this is the only one that really scares me, I will just have to make sure I get a bunch of brass and dies if it starts to fall off.

I got a FVSS in a 223. shot so nice i got a 308 in FVSS to go with it. Very accurate rifles. As for caliber...223 is ok,but for deer--You better have great shot placement. 223--not really what you call a long range bullet.

6.5 Creed is a great choice. Ballistic differences between that and the .260 are pretty minor, I know I wouldn't be capable of telling the difference in capability if I were driving either rifle.

I think you made the right choice avoiding the .243, if true long range is the goal. While the round can make the distance, throw in any kind of wind at long range and, well...you'd better be really good at doping.

As you noted, the smaller bullets just can't carry the BC necessary to buck the wind effectively.

I have to agree with tobnpr, that lighter bullets just haven't got what it takes to get through the wind. However the .243 win has an uncanny knack for accurate long-range accuracy. As far as hunting goes heavy bullets like 100 grn Sierra GMK's in the .243 win are fine enough to take game at reasonable distances, the 6.5 bullet has a heavier bullet selection therefore more capacity for better accuracy and farther distances. I'm torn because I have a .243 win, and I like the recoil and accuracy of it.;)

I am sure you already know this, but just to make it clear to other people reading this thread...

both the 260 remington and the 6.5 creedmore use 0.264 caliber bullets (6.5 mm). The 260's parent case is the 308, and I believe the 6.5 creedmore is also based on 308 brass. ballistically the difference between the two is small, but I believe that 6.5 creedmore has a slight edge in velocity. The difference in recoil between the two will be so slight as to be insignificant.

6.5 Creedmoor is based off of .250 Savage brass. It would be a PITA to make it out of .308 family of brass. Still there is a ton of quality .22-250 brass to use.

Last edited:
Springfield scout .308, its light, versatile, semiautomatic, big enough round for larger "game", can shoot long distance and be used tactically!!! Great all around gun

I think the biggest question that know one has asked yet, is what do you want to hunt?

Plenty of people shoot targets out to 1000yrds with 223, and with the new high BC 224 bullets its really not a impossible ask.

Any of the calibers you mentioned will kill paper targets just fine, but for target shooting, especially learning long range shooting, the lower price of 223 is going to be a huge advantage.
Realistically, your not going to go straight out and shoot at 1000yrds, so there's no disadvantage to 223 (to begin with anyway).

So really it depends what you are hoping to hunt at long range and what you consider long range for hunting.
If you want to shoot prairie dogs at 500yrds 223 will easily manage, but you wont want to be shooting deer at that range.
223 will manage deer up to 200yrds with a well placed shot, it will do further with an excellent shot you will be able to go further.

So, what are you wanting to hunt and at what range?

The gun weighs 11 pounds and that is without a scope. I would not want to hump that heavy sucker in the field to go deer hunting.:confused:

The gun weighs 11 pounds and that is without a scope. I would not want to hump that heavy sucker in the field to go deer hunting.

This is not my primary deer gun lol, around here I use my .45-70. If I where to use this in my area, it would be just a set up and wait as the bullet can do the walking for me :D Its a target gun first, then hunting on the side.

If I go other places to hunt (deer or caribou)though, I don't think it will be too much of a problem to lug around, I don't have a problem creepin' around the woods 3-5 miles a day with that 7.5 lbs gun + scope(I don't usually do too much sitting). I will get a nice sling for it though, not sure what design but it probably won't be a single strap.

As for varminting with it, setup is about 5ft from the tailgate ;)

11 lbs would be a pain. Then think about the guys who are humping a 30 lb .50 cal's plus serious amounts of ammo around the Middle East / southern Asia.

Back