Long range multi purpose rifle

A 10" plate at 500 isn't hard to hit... once you have hit it.
Getting on target at that range without some arrangement to spot your shots is going to be difficult.

I'd sure want more than a 4-6X scope, though.
You can get wide range variables that will go low enough for hunting and high enough for target shooting without limiting yourself much at either end.

I'm still new at this stuff; but why would you want one gun for squirrel and hogs? I know it's your right; just curious.

I bought and shot my first bolt gun today- ruger hawkeye 308. I sure can't see taking a squirrel out with that...on purpose.

Tell you why I bought this gun- very manageable recoil, nice trigger, and ammo availability. Ok, I should add this too. Because I was looking for a larger caliber for the shtf scenario, I was at the salesmans mercy when he told me you could paddle your boat across the stream with this gun and be ready to shoot on the other side. Ye, it's all weather stainless.

Jim Watson said:
Getting on target at that range without some arrangement to spot your shots is going to be difficult.

You be surprised at how accurate some of the ballistic programs are that are coming through mobile app stores these days. The only three rifle's i've taken to 500+ yds were all within a 10" circle from the POA. Not that that's impressive but the programs do they're job as far as first round hits are concerned.

500yds is considered medium range IIRC? Or did i dream that up.

Anyhow, 5.56 will be perfect for the OP for the most part, low cost, low recoil (builds good fundamentals if he hasn't done this before) easy to load for, relatively fast depending on bullet weight, and will take varmints like he wanted.

Hog at 300, i would go with a .308 again cheaper than .260, 6.5x55swede, .243, etc. Not that it's better but i'm assuming you don't reload. If you do well a 6.5 would be my choice.

Back