Long range multi purpose rifle

swizzle

Inactive
Im a little stuck so I figured someone here could help me.

I would like a caliber that can reach to 500 yards accurately (not tiny groups but can hit a 10" plate) and a flat trajectory.

I will be using it for long range target shooting, squirrels, coyotes and hogs. I want something with enough power to knock down a hog around 300 yards.

Price isn't a big issue, but I don't want to be paying over $2 a round. So far i have come up with .243, 6.8 spc, .300 win mag, .308.

Im open to any suggestions.

.243 or .308 would be my choice...if cash is not i problem, i would get a nicer/ build a 700.. if you looking for the best economical bang for your buck, i would go with a savage...IMHO

edit: not sure what either of those would do to a squirrel :eek:

Thats what I thinking. Been I like the savage's accutriger a lot.

I don't think a squirrel would be left after a .308 haha

Best stick with a .22 or air rifle for the rodents.

.300WM is overkill for everything else except perhaps a big boar. 300 yards is "short-ish" range and most any caliber will still have little drop and retain most of it's energy.

Hogs- good size boars-can require a lot of knock down power...yeah, I know "shot placement"...but no one is perfect. I'd prefer the .308 over the .243 or the .223 for that reason.

I think the .308 is a great all-around hunting and target caliber, with the largest selection of commercial ammo available.

Ten inches at 500 yards is not super accuracy; just about any good factory rifle should out-perform that. (I know my old Model 700 ADL in .22-250 will!)

And any decent .308 or .30-'06 factory load should easily meet that standard. It is a bit far for .243, but not beyond the capabililty of the round with the right bullets.

Jim

a weatherby vanguard in 308 or 243 would be my choice. 243 a little moreso just because it is a very versatile round and has flatter trajectory than 308. 300 win mag is overkill for hogs and coyotes IMHO and 6.8 is a good long range round but looses FTLBs faster over range than the rest.

I really like 25-06,If you plain to do some reloading in a good bolt action light recoil fast, flat & fun, worth a look.

243 or 308 are plenty and I'd lean toward 308. No need to use anything more powerful or expensive.

Most any decent modern bolt rifle is accurate enough for your needs, no special tactical or target rifles needed unless that is what you want.

You don't mention a budget for your rifle. Right now Winchester is building the best all around general purpose rifles. I'd go with stainless/synthetic for long term reliability and consistent accurcy. That means the Extreme Weather version.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535110

If you don't want to spend that much a Ruger is my 2nd choice and is a darn good one.

http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAllWeather/models.html

If you have the money Kimbers are the true lightweights. I don't think they are the perfect all round gun. At around 5 lbs they are well made and very easy to carry around. They are as accurate as anything, but require a lot of skill. Many shooters just cannot handle a gun this light.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84m/montana

For a lot less money I really like the Tikka T-3's.

Never shot one, but I've heard great things about the TC Venture rifles. I like the looks and feel of them over any of the other budget guns.

Thanks guys. This has been VERY helpful, I think Im going to go with a .243 remington sps varmint. I love the contour barrels.

Budget is not to much of an issue. But do not want to be over paying for it.

Let me know if this is a bad choice. I did not mention, and I should have, but i do have the ability to reload .243 and thats what made my choice.

What about 22-250 or 223 or 204 Ruger.

With high BC bullets they can compete with larger ones at the range you've specified, and 223 can't be beat for ammo price.

If hogs are really in the picture, you should eschew the .243 and go with the .308.

The .243 is fine for deer, but for a big azz boar you really need the additional 30% or so energy/knock down power of the .308.

308 over the 243 hands down. Better commercial ammo selection and if you hand load you can get a wide variety of bullets from 90grns for small game all the way up to 220grns for the largest game in North America. Further, 168grn and 178grn bullets are terrific long range performers even out to 1,000 yds.

If hogs are really in the picture, you should eschew the .243 and go with the .308.

The .243 is fine for deer, but for a big azz boar you really need the additional 30% or so energy/knock down power of the .308.

you do realize that the caliber of choice in texas for hogs is .223 right?

.260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, in that order.
260 Remington factory loads go from a 95gr Vmax to 142gr SMKs

you do realize that the caliber of choice in texas for hogs is .223 right?

But...
Pig Man uses the LMT .308 :)

To each their own.
Many, including myself, consider the .223 inadequate for Whitetail, much less a 300 pound boar.

I suppose if you have the luxury of being up in a stand, and he's gorging at the feeder, it's simple enough to put one in his ear.

I wouldn't go after hogs out past a couple of hundred yards with my .243, but I'd not worry about target shooting at 500.

My pet '06 was sub-MOA at 100 yards, and varied from 0.8 MOA to 1.1 MOA at 500 yards. No big deal.

What I found with my .243 is that the 55-grain bullet works on prairie dogs (and many guys use it on coyotes); 70-grain or 85-grain on coyotes and most folks use a bullet around 100 grains for deer or hogs.

I got lazy and just use the 85-grain Sierra HPBT for coyotes and deer, although I'm very picky about my shots on deer. No angling shots, for instance; just neck or cross-body heart/lung shots.

You've already covered most of the power spectrum with your selections. You'd better try hitting ANYTHING at 500 yards first. That's aloooong way for anything to shoot accurately, meaning you as well. After 400, the magnums are my choice. For hogs at 300, the .308 is the best economical choice you made IMHO.

-7-

Back