Long Range Handguning With The Magnums- .357, .41, and .44?

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
O.K. Handguner's- Here's the question, between
these magnum caliber's (.357, .41, and .44)
which do you think is the most accurate at
longer range's; say out to 300 yard's and
beyond? Please limit reply's to these caliber's
only. Thanks in advance for any and all response.

Please assume that the launch platform's are
all equal; barrel length to be established at
6".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I think you'll going to find more differnce from gun to gun than diffrences in 357 vs 41 vs 44 as long as you use the correct load for the job. A 200gr 357 will be better at 300yards than a 180gr 44, and a 300gr 44 will be better than a 110gr 357. Using comparable long range loads they're about even.

I think any of them is going to be more accurate than most shooters. But if forced to pick one I would go with the 357 with a 180-200gr bullet at ~1300fps. They were used with great success in Silhouette shooting, after the topple rule was implemented so more powerful loads were no longer required.

I'll agree with JohnK right down the line as far as the .357mag and .44mag are concerned. No experience with the .41mag.

Don't think the .44 is any more or less accurate, it does have a lot more smack at range tho.

Sam

.44 Elmer could hit a 5 gallon bucket at 500 yards with a 4" M29 considerably more often than not, but he was playing at a post-graduate level none of us are ever likely to achieve. He was just as good with a .41 later on too but the .44 was his baby. The original Kieth ranch above Winston is only about 15 miles from me and I saw Elmer make some pretty incredible shots in my youth, he was nearly supernatural in his shooting abilities which had a lot more to do with his amazing long range feats than the caliber or revolver he used.

Well, using SANE loads with SANE bullet weights, I'd hafta' nominate the .41 Mag...better "sectional density" w/conventional bullet weights, every QUALITY .41 of my acquaintance has been a real barn-burner in the accuracy dept.--'tho I've owned a LOT MORE .357's and .44's than .41's, I'm really starting to like the .41 more and more...more bullet weight than .357, less recoil than the .44...what's not to like???....mikey357

I assumed paper or steel since no one should be shooting at meat with any 357, 41 or 44 magnum at 300 yards or more.

If "Meat" has rifle and missed me, gonna try to insure "meat" doesn't get nuther try. In that case I would rather be usin my .44 than a .357. Just a little better chance of makin a marginal hit do the job. At 300yds I want all the help I can get.

Not gonna try eatin meat at that range with any handgun. Really do like close in shure kills.

Sam

Elmer Keith-

Report's have said, ole' Elmer killed a
muley at 625 yards; with a standard
4" Smith & Wesson model 29, .44 magnum.
But I don't recommend bringing home
"meat" with a handgun, from that kind'a
range.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

NOT HUNTING

See C.R.SAM's post; 'meat' not four-legged (unless cleaning up after crappy rifle effort).
I only own handguns.

300 yd retained energy with 300-320g significant.

WS2 said..."...(unless cleaning up after crappy rifle effort). "

As in Keith downin the deer at long range....AFTER it was wounded by a "rifleman"

Sam

With perfect conditions I wouldn't hesitate to take a 200yd or longer shot at a deer or other similar sized game.(with the correct load). The sight picture dictates the "yes" or "no" in pulling the trigger.

This applies only to ME, shooting MY 44mag. With someone elses' gun I wouldn't try it without extensive range time on that gun.

For punching paper or Sihlouette shooting the 357 is the prefered long range gun. For long range power a 44 would be best but anything past 200 and you are going to wound more than you take down.

Checking some equipment lists for Silhouette shooting (big bore, revolver), 357 (w/ a 180gr) and 44 (w/ a 240-250gr) are abundant. Absence of the 41 means not a lot of people shoot it not that it doesn't work. Booth are capable of knocking over the ram at 200yds. on the first shot (energy and accuracy).

Increasing the range would push me to favor the heavier and higher BC 44 cal bullet. Should retain energy and buck wind better.

Back