Long Distance Handgun Shooting

HughScot

A number of years ago I used to shoot IHMSA, we shot at distances from 25 yards to 200 yards. This was without a scope. I used a DW 44 mag, Thompson Center and a Remington XP100. It seems that most people I read now don't ever get over 10 yards. Any particular reason for shooting at such close range?

I think a lot of it has to do with the limited outdoor ranges that have longer distances to shoot at. I know I prefer to shoot outside but if I cant get outdoors to the 100yrd range then I will go to the indoor range 25yrds. Plus a lot of shooters don't/wont put in the time to master shooting at longer ranges with a pistol and will swap out to a rifle for longer distances.

10 yards or less is generally considered self-defense distance. Being able to quickly and accurately put rounds on target at that range, under a variety of conditions is my primary goal. I have been working lately on longer range (all the way up to about 30 yards:)), but most of my time will be spent at combat range.

And going longer than 10 meters or so serves no functional purpose. It is an amazing feat to hit a gong at 200 yards, as Hickok45 does, or go out to 400 yards as Jerry Miculek does, and I admire that, with no great interest in trying to emulate what they do.

PLUS, the logistics involved in that long-range shooting is really daunting unless you are living in the desert. In my area, I don't have 200 yards of flat anywhere.

I occasionally still get chances to stretch the legs on my encore out to 200 yards, its fun to smack steel with a handgun at longer ranges.

The last time I went shooting at our local range I took my .38 super, it had not been exercised in a while. at the end of our session my friend wanted to shoot his 9mm at 100 yds, so I decided I needed to shoot my .38 super. It was a lot of fun after we both ranged in on the milk jug we were aiming for. My biggest surprise was I had to hold almost 3 ft low to hit the milk jug. I am going to make up a bigger PVC stand just so I can have a bigger target held up to better see where I am hitting with various pistols.

David

The trick is to learn to hit the target at twice the normal hunting range ! Hit the paper deer at 100 yds and it will be easy to hit the real deer at 50 yds !! :p

The longest pistol range available around here is 50 yards.
Most are even shorter at 25 yards maximum.
The longer rifle ranges are not for pistols due to the risk of shooting over the berms.
Hard to imagine anyone being that bad of a pistol shot, but one range nearly got closed due to that.
Another one where we used to go did get closed down.
To compensate most pistoleros resort to using smaller targets for precision practice.
Life is hard.

Well, there's a lot of real estate between 10 and 200 yards, so this discussion can easily reflect two very different forms of shooting...

To answer the general question, though, it's my impression that most are interested more in the defense aspect of handgunning and much less in target shooting, and many of them have convinced themselves that anything beyond 10 yards and/or anything resembling "target shooting" is irrelevant. We're reading some of that here.

The reality is that it's difficult to effectively separate the two skills: Good marksmanship and a strong foundation in the fundamentals is always helpful, in all forms of shooting, even defense-type shooting. Legitimately good shooters, including those interested in SD, are able to print a good 25 yard group on demand. It's certainly a skill worth practicing.

Good answers to my question, I think a lack of suitable land is probably tops. While not functional I enjoyed the competition and figured if I could hit a ram at 200 yards I'd probably be good at 10 yards. In a way I wish more emphasis was on accuracy and less on self-defense. I've lived in a number of major metropolitan areas and have never come close to needing a firearm for my protection. It's heavily advertised and does sell guns but the need for self-defense is highly overrated in my opinion. The current political atmosphere does more to drive me to getting a concealed carry license than anything else.

In a way I wish more emphasis was on accuracy and less on self-defense. I've lived in a number of major metropolitan areas and have never come close to needing a firearm for my protection.

You cannot conclude that because my focus is self-defense shooting that accuracy is not important to me. I can shoot tiny little groups at the distances I work at, and am competent at greater distances. That I am generally more concerned about combat accuracy at speed doesn't mean I can't hold my own banging steel plates.

Having lived in major urban areas I would suggest you don't have any idea how close you've been to being violently attacked. It happens every day. I live in a relatively safe rural area, and carry every day. Before I started carrying I had two incidents that convinced me I cannot predict when or where stuff will happen. I don't ever expect to need a gun in a self-defense situation, but if I do, I will have one.

And going longer than 10 meters or so serves no functional purpose.

Perhaps for YOU..:p

Speaking as one of the guys who could routinely hit the 200yd rifle gong, standing, shooting offhand, one handed (before age took its toll), I disagree with your blanket statement.

I think there are several reasons why you don't read more about long range handgunning on boards like this is 1) the majority of the posters are more interested in self defense and short range shooting, and 2) when we tell the truth about long range handgun shooting, those who've never done it, or seen it done, often simply don't believe it CAN be done.

I done it many times, given a range where I (or a spotter) can "observe the fall of shot", I will hit that 200yd gong, with any handgun you give me, usually before the pistol is empty (single shots excluded :D)

My aiming technique is simple, and easy to learn, can be learned by anyone with normal hand/eye skills. It does require trial and error shooting to learn the correct amount of hold, but once there, you're there.

Some guns make doing it repeatably a challenge, because they lack good reference points, but that is easily overcome, temporarily, at least. The rest is just practice.

Put your target on top of the front sight. Raise the front sight in the rear notch to compensate for the drop. Shoot. See where the bullet hit, and adjust accordingly. Repeat until you are on target.

How much you need to raise the front sight is different for each gun and load. With my 7.5" .45Colt Blackhawk and my standard load, the hold up is right where the slope of the blade drops vertical.

With a Browning Hi Power, you have to hold up until a point on the slide about 2 inches back from the front sight is level with top of the rear sight.

Might be just me, but being able to hit things at longer range seems to make it easier for me to hit things at shorter ranges.

YMMV

:D

HughScot said:
you are entitled to your opinion, uninformed as it may be. :)

No need for that, even with the smilie. It only serves to derail your own thread.

K_Mac said:
You cannot conclude that because my focus is self-defense shooting that accuracy is not important to me.

I think it'd be wrong to conclude this (i.e. that accuracy isn't important to them) about any single individual, especially based on a single post. Kudos & respect to you for working to being a well-rounded and competent shooter.

However, I've met many (more) who outright poo poo any form of target shooting (or competition) as irrelevant, yet, when it comes to actual shooting, are clearly (and dangerously) overconfident in their own basic proficiency.

We could go round and round on this comment but you are entitled to your opinion, uninformed as it may be.

We most certainly will not "go round and round". I thought you posted looking for feedback. Good luck.

"...don't ever get over 10 yards..." Gettin' ready for the OK Corral and Zombies. snicker.
Boss, at the gun shop I worked in, 7 year old son shot the bosses 19 ounce Charter Arms Bull Dog at 100 yards. Why? Because his da said he could.
"...going longer than 10 meters or so serves no functional purpose..." Unless you're playing IHMSA. Not all handgun shooting is about IPSC/IDPA game playing. Or CCW. The IHMSA is alive and well too.
And 10 meters is a bit over 98 feet. Way out of any possible threat distance. So is 30 yards. Doesn't mean it's not fun to shoot at those distances though. A BG just isn't a threat. You shoot a guy at 30 meters or 30 yards and you'll be charged.
"...you don't have any idea how close you've been..." Little paranoid are you? I walked, as a young pup, down Buffalo's main drag with complete impunity. Assuming you're going to be attacked just because you're in an urban setting means you're afraid of something and having a firearm on your person isn't going to help you. You afraid that bears are waiting behind every tree too?

Assuming you're going to be attacked just because you're in an urban setting means you're afraid of something and having a firearm on your person isn't going to help you. You afraid that bears are waiting behind every tree too?

I am far more afraid of stupid people than I am of being attacked in an urban environment.

Not all handgun shooting is about IPSC/IDPA game playing. Or CCW.
Fur sure.
Serious stuff has it's place, but so does just plain old shooting for fun.
One of my favorites is to see who can get their soda can the farthest with a set number of shots.

Back