Loading Brass Shotshells (a pictorial)- blackpowder loads

There just something about brass verses plastic that just pleases the eye.

That's true but plastic only lasts for a couple of reloads with bp before its melted too much to use. I only use them once.

loading brass shot gun shells

i want to thank you for posting the prosidgure on how to do it. you have really helped this NIMROD! thanking you.toot44.

I stumbled onto this thread while surfing and it is ear marked save. there is a wealth of information in it. thank you for posting it for all to enjoy. it should be a STICKY!.

Besides fingernail polish and waterglass, what else could be used to seal the overshot card?

I use Elmers white glue. It works well but I don't know how long they will store with it.

Here's my 10g brass shell loading kit. For the "shot collar", I used segments of coin wrappers for some reclaimed shot that I couldn't get completely clean - other than that, I don't use them. Then to seal the overshot card, Elmer's carpenter's glue. Buy a gallon, and it's a LOT cheaper than the little bottles. ;)

Attachments

• 10gReloadingKit.jpg
    10gReloadingKit.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 93
I reload brass with black powder for 12 and 20 gauge. I get the best pattern without a big wad between the powder and shot. I just use two 1/8" over powder nitro card wads between powder and shot (YMMV). Over the shot I use wads cut from 3/16" particle cork squares like you can get at hobby stores. The ones without a sticky side. The cork wads can also be used as spacers under the shot, if you like the shell to have a full look (I don't particularity care). The over-shot cork gets held in place with elmers white glue (it takes more than you'd think). It helps to use some medium sandpaper to slightly rough up the first half inch or so of the inside of the brass before loading. Elmers glue doesn't hold well to smooth brass, and if left for a few months the wad will slide around (more so with over-shot cards than the cork though). I can never find a cork wad after shooting, and I think they break up into their particulates upon firing.

Well that's a novel use of fingernail polish. I bought a bottle to mark my tools (so I can reclaim it if someone borrows it.

Well that's a novel use of fingernail polish. I bought a bottle to mark my tools (so I can reclaim it if someone borrows it.

Fingernail polish comes off. I mark mine with a bench grinder.

Too costly? Yikes. You use maybe two drops per shell....one tube does a whole lotta shells and it is more durable than any of the others.

I guess if I'm going to make shells and keep them around for a couple years, then duco might be the answer, but, I use them up pretty quick. ;)

i have just used my first glue gun, WOW!! it is fast, instant hardening, no smell like fingernail polish, just do it go out side and shoot. if you use it on other than brass hulls, plastic it does tend to melt the plastic.

Back