Loading BP from a flask??

I always use a separate measure for safety's sake with revolvers. I just like to handle my revolverst a lot and admire them. After all I'm not in a gunfight

swathdiver said:
Hey Doc, regarding number 4, not only do I refuel my hot mower from a 5 gallon can, I don't shut it off neither! Can't remember the last time my truck was off while fueling either!

And them new mowers with the liberal lawyer cables that shut off if you let go, tossed that junk in the trash!

Heck, I even threw away the pull-rope starter and just start it by holding the thing up and flipping the blade with my hand, like starting an airplane engine.;)

If the cylinder is removed from the frame, I wouldn't hesitate to load from the flask. First, I don't use paper cartridges, paper wads or cloth but oversized round balls. Second, some time is involved between removing the cylinder and placing it on a loading stand.

I don't have a gun barer or loading bench most of the time, so the extra hand needed to pour the powder into something extra is traded for in extra couple seconds to make sure the cylinder is safe.

I think we need a bit of perspective here on this discussion.
I would argue that no one on this forum relies on quick reloading of their BP firearm to save their life. This is a sport/hobby for all of us. Who wants to get maimed or killed in a preventable accident while enjoying their hobby for sake of doing it like the old timers did in time of need?
Saying that we have or have not ever heard of an instance of discharge from embers to a flask is simply a case of a logic error in argument.
There is always a chance of it happening, so do you want to risk that chance in pursuit of your hobby? Especially when it only takes a few extra moments in a non-life threatening situation to charge from a powder measure.
My job requires me to have all my appendages, eyesight and hearing. I'd sure like to keep those intact in order to support my family.

Saying that we have or have not ever heard of an instance of discharge from embers to a flask is simply a case of a logic error in argument.
There is always a chance of it happening, so do you want to risk that chance in pursuit of your hobby? Especially when it only takes a few extra moments in a non-life threatening situation to charge from a powder measure.

Than stay home because the risk of an injury happening while driving your car is far greater than some mythical burning ember in a cap and ball revolver's chamber. Your argument can be correctly addressed as a logical fallacy. :rolleyes:

And they say more accidents happen in the home. Life in itself is dangerous. This attitude of trying to take risk out of everything is self defeating. But what do I know I almost died at birth. A minute or two more and I would have never existed. I consider life to be precious but I am not going to let that get in the way of living life. Soapbox rant off

And they say more accidents happen in the home.

Mostly because that's where we spend most of our time. Same logic as most traffic accidents happen close to home, that's where we do most of our driving.

Than stay home because the risk of an injury happening while driving your car is far greater than some mythical burning ember in a cap and ball revolver's chamber. Your argument can be correctly addressed as a logical fallacy.

Most people drive a lot more than they shoot. Time exposed to risk is a big factor. The probability of me having a wreck on my way to work this particular morning is very low, but the probability of me having a wreck sometime in my life is pretty high.
The same thing goes for flying, most of us spend very little time in airplanes compared to time spent in cars. Of course we are more likely to die in a car than in an airplane.

Back