Loading BP from a flask??

PolarFBear

My question is oriented towards revolvers but long guns have issues too. I have never gotten the hang of loading from a flask. I see that there are different sized nozzles to mount on the flask for the powder. But do you put your thumb over the nozzle hole, push the flask spring thereby dispensing "just the right" amount of powder into the nozzle; and then add to the cylinder, or is there a different method? I gave up and just use a 9mm case filled to the rim. For long guns, I use an adjustable brass dispenser from Cabella's. It makes it easy to load 50 grains, or less, of BP.

My question is oriented towards revolvers but long guns have issues too. I have never gotten the hang of loading from a flask. I see that there are different sized nozzles to mount on the flask for the powder. But do you put your thumb over the nozzle hole, push the flask spring thereby dispensing "just the right" amount of powder into the nozzle; and then add to the cylinder

Pretty much but might want to give it a shake to make sure the spout fills. Also the more pressure you use with your thumb the less it holds as your thumb will sink into the spout somewhat. It's probably not much risk in filling a revolver with a flask but do not load a rifle from one as the risk of a hot ember remaining is a lot higher and one hot spark will turn your flask into a grenade and the spring loaded gate will not stop it.

the tradition a1334 flask is safer. you get the flask and adjustable measure, the flask meters till it fill the adjustable measure.

Hold the flask down at your side when you open and close the valve. As Hawg said, give it a little shake to ensure a full measure. Make sure you close the valve before you bring it up! :rolleyes: It takes some doing a couple of times to develop the muscle memory than it will be a snap and quite a bit faster.

It is not unsafe to load a cap and ball revolver directly from a powder flask.

Your measure !!

It is not unsafe to load a cap and ball revolver directly from a powder flask
However, it is safer to load from a separate calibrated measure. I know that the NMLRA does not allow this on long-guns but don't know where they stand on C&B revolvers. ..... :confused:

I will admit to loading from a flask but that is always the exception and not the rule. I use my index finger to cap the spout when loading. You can shake and you can tap and it's always good to be consistent. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

I most always load from a Colt style flask. After removing spent caps and walking up to the target any ember is long out.
Here are my most used spouts to which I have soldered a brass ferrule to help not spilling powder all over.
DSCN5583 (Small).JPG

However, it is safer to load from a separate calibrated measure.

I will admit to loading from a flask but that is always the exception and not the rule.

I seriously doubt that it is any safer and to load a cap and ball revolver directly from a flask is the rule and not the exception; been that way since the 1830s.

Anyone promoting different first got the idea from some lily livered lawyer. :D

If you are shooting at a NMLRA sanctioned match, don't let the range officer catch you loading a rifle straight from the powder flask. Just find an empty case to dump your measured charge into and use it to transfer the load to the gun and the range officer won't holler at you.

Just remember that if there is still a live ember down the bore, you are holding in your hand something that is essentially a pipe bomb.

I prefer to use combustible envelope paper cartridges, the way these guns were fired during the U.S. Civil War.

I am very traditional in many ways and would love to shoot paper cartridges all the time but to me they're a PITA to make.

I did some paper cartridges and agree PITA, but loading powder wad and ball is part of my b&c shooting. When I am in a hurry I shoot the cartridge pistols.

I prefer to use combustible envelope paper cartridges, the way these guns were fired during the U.S. Civil War.

Likewise.

catridges.jpg

However, even though I have some practice making them, it's a lot faster in total to just load the gun so I understand why people might not want to bother. Takes me over a hour to fill these four catridge boxes. Handy at the range, though.

I thought about doing cartridges once, seems like just another time consuming step when I could be shooting.

It was 20 degrees today, and no indoor ranges anywhere near me allow black powder guns.

I find winter to be the best time to make cartridges. :)

Yes, stopped to shoot the other day the temp was 15 and my old fingers had enough after 18 rounds. I may have to re-think those paper cartridges and dig out a capper if I need to shoot my Navy.

If you are shooting at a NMLRA sanctioned match, don't let the range officer catch you loading a rifle straight from the powder flask. Just find an empty case to dump your measured charge into and use it to transfer the load to the gun and the range officer won't holler at you.

Just remember that if there is still a live ember down the bore, you are holding in your hand something that is essentially a pipe bomb.

Please don't misconstrue my earlier post; the context was using regular flasks with cap and ball revolvers, NOT rifles or single shot pistols.

Back