Loading and Unloading Single/Double Action Revolvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used the method of loading sixguns as described by James K.
With often sweaty and especially greasy hands, the full cock and finger on the trigger method seems like an AD waiting to happen.
Another scratch on the gun just adds to the character.
But then I've never considered a shootin' iron as a work of art, just a tool.

Mobuck said:
Frank Ettin
Please qualify your questionable statement by telling all of us which single action you're working with....
It was my pair of Generation 2 Colt Single Action Army revolvers in .45 Colt.

In fact, I just got one out of the safe and loaded it as I described (with snap caps). And what do you know. The chamber under the hammer after I lowered it from full cock was empty -- just as I wanted it.

Crunchy Frog explained the process quite well. It is not possible to do it any other way w/o rotating the cylinder backward.

When the last cartridge is loaded into the chamber the empty chamber is to the left of top-center. Cocking the hammer from half-cock rotates the cylinder one chamber to the right putting the empty chamber at top-center. Now lowering the hammer from full cock does not further rotate the cylinder so the hammer comes to rest on the empty chamber.

Guys, may I make a suggestion? For those of us who do not have ready access to a single action revolver, it would be extremely helpful to see a video. Would one of you guys be willing to record a quick video of the loading procedure and put it up on YouTube? Thanks.

pax

I don't do youtube.
The load one, skip one, load four, cock & lower the hammer has been the accepted practice for almost 150 years.
I'm not a Colt man. If it's possible to load another way, I'm sure that's the way they would have been doing it since 1873.

Someone asked for a YouTube video showing the load one-skip one method of loading a Colt single action (or replica thereof). Good old "Bottom Dealing Mike" has the subject covered in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXJRuTx--nU

The loading technique begins at about 3:20.

Mike pulls the trigger to drop the hammer onto the empty chamber in this video. The method that was described in this thread was to use your thumb to lower the hammer down from the fullcock position.

The rims of the cartridges can easily be seen. If somehow you were to get the loading sequence out of whack you would be able to see whether the chamber being indexed to the "firing" position is loaded or empty.

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

If this still gives you the heebie jeebies you can always buy a (new model) Ruger single action. No need to touch the hammer or trigger during loading and unloading. Safe to carry fully loaded as well.

Notice that after loading the last cartridge he full cocks the hammer, just as I had mentioned. The difference is that he just drops the hammer. I prefer not to dry fire a single action revolver so I lower the hammer under control.

Frank, I was confused at your first comment. You started out by full cocking the gun, then lowering the hammer to half cock to load. That wont allow the cylinder to rotate. Bringing the hammer to half cock from down will allow the cylinder to turn.

Fully cock the hammer.

Lower the hammer to half-cock. You can do this by holding the hammer with your support hand thump, pressing the trigger, begin to lower the hammer a bit, and then let up on the trigger as you lower the hammer further to the half-cock position.

Thanks guys! The videos have been great, in particular the one posted by Crunchy Frog! I now have a pretty solid understanding of how to do so and I'll try to locate a range where I can rent a gun and try it out myself as well as get a grip with some revolvers.

I am disheartened by some negative comments. The path to learning has to start somewhere and I'm ready to start it. When I'm able to prove my abilities, these comments will be irrelevant. Until then, I'm just ready to start learning so that I one day will be ready.

dakota.potts said:
...I am disheartened by some negative comments. The path to learning has to start somewhere and I'm ready to start it...
That's a good perspective. And it's okay to have a goal, even if you know you have a ways to go to realize it.

Asking honest questions is a good way to learn. Nobody is born knowing all this stuff. Learning new things about shooting and guns is generally a pretty interesting pastime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back