Loading 9mm/380 acp

I see what you're saying. As long as a compressed load is worked up to safely and the bullet is crimped sufficiently to prevent any accidental bullet setback it should be fine except with very fast powders. I've never had a problem working up a good load without compressing the powder, so as far as my needs are concerned I'm just going to stick with my method. But, even after 30+ years of loading for 9mm I guess there is still stuff to learn.

I see what you're saying. As long as a compressed load is worked up to safely and the bullet is crimped sufficiently to prevent any accidental bullet setback it should be fine except with very fast powders.

Even with "fast powders" I'd like to see actual data to see how pressure changes as the bullet is seated deeper, and if there is a bigger pressure change when it starts to be compressed that can't be simply accounted for by just a smaller powder chamber.

I see the compression with fast powders thing often, but without data it's not clear if it's real or myth.

I would use the 100s for 380, the 115s for 9mm. For pistols, I test primarily for function, then accuracy. I check velocity too, but it's not critical for practice ammo.

Straight wall cases don’t need lube with carbide, but if you want to lube them you cannot beat simple Lanolin and Denatured Alcohol mixed in a spray bottle... very small quantity of lanolin compared to the alcohol, trial and error will get the mix right for you, it’s dirt cheap, dries quickly just like one shot would, leaves a very light lanolin lube, and doesn’t really need removed.

A chrono is money well spent. Consistent velocity in pistol loads correlates well with consistent accuracy.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Thanks that’s an interesting read, it sure seemed to in my small sample size of load development, but I had maybe 3-4 total loads of same bullet/powder different charge weight. That seems like a well controlled test.

I will say that he has a lot of variations that all have fairly small standard deviations, so it’s not necessarily clear from that test that getting smaller is good, but it’s also not clear that bigger is not bad. Would have been nice to see something with an SD of 50ish... because if you’re a little sloppy in charge weight consistency you can easily get that and by feel they all shoot the same.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Last edited:
Back