Loading 44 WCF for my Uberti Flat Top Target

Well I loaded up a batch with the 200 RNFP copper plated lead rounds on 8.1 Grains of Unique. The manual called for OAL to be 1.570" for this load so that's where it is. Gotta try them out at the range to see if this is any good or not.

Attachments

• 44 WCF Reloading Jan 10 22.jpg
    44 WCF Reloading Jan 10 22.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 30
Well I loaded up a batch with the 200 RNFP copper plated lead rounds on 8.1 Grains of Unique. The manual called for OAL to be 1.570" for this load so that's where it is. Gotta try them out at the range to see if this is any good or not.
Royce,

The 44-40 SAGA can be quite complicated but will make perfect sense once you get used to it.

One issue with revolvers is the cylinder throat vs barrel bore. It would be best to take the time and slug both the cylinder and barrel bore and check the size. If the cylinder swages a lead bullet down to .427" and then the bore is .430"...accuracy will be an issue. Chamber pressures could be an issue when using max loads and large diameter bullets....especially jacketed.

Remington 44-40 Jacketed Soft Point bullets are sized .426" while Winchester 44-40 JSP bullets are sized .4255".

Lead bullets can be purchased in hard or soft lead and in several diameters. Loading dies should be used accordingly with bullet diameters. Using a 44-40 Cowboy Die set, designed for larger lead bullets, might not be good for the JSP diameters.

Answers to many of your questions can be found here: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/introduction

Use the search icon in the upper right hand corner.

Others suggested the CAS shooting doesn't require accuracy, but undersized cast bullets will deposit to a lot of lead fouling unless you get them really soft and fire them with enough pressure to bump them up to bore diameter. I've not fired any copper-plated bullets in that circumstance, so I don't know how they will do on fouling. If I owned such a gun and confirmed the bore was 0.429" or 0.430", I would ream my chamber throats about a thousandth over that measured number and use bullets to fit. You will probably sacrifice cross-compatibility of the ammo with other guns you own in that chambering, though.

Others suggested the CAS shooting doesn't require accuracy, but undersized cast bullets will deposit to a lot of lead fouling unless you get them really soft and fire them with enough pressure to bump them up to bore diameter. I've not fired any copper-plated bullets in that circumstance, so I don't know how they will do on fouling. If I owned such a gun and confirmed the bore was 0.429" or 0.430", I would ream my chamber throats about a thousandth over that measured number and use bullets to fit. You will probably sacrifice cross-compatibility of the ammo with other guns you own in that chambering, though.
Absolutely, here is an topic about cylinder problems:
Part I
https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/chasing-the-44-40/handloading/ancient-history-part-1

Part II
https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/chasing-the-44-40/handloading/ancient-history-part-2

Back