Loaded gun within reach of bed. Bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my country it is strictly forbidden to store a gun under the pillow or at any other place outside the weapon safe. But Merlin keeps watch and if that is not enough, I have a large butcher knife and can handle it.

Attachments

• Merlin.jpg
    Merlin.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 74
I would say Merlin does a fine job. Beautiful dog!
I don't like gun under pillows, but a gun out of reach from bed, to me is a BAD idea.

if you really don't feel comfortabl sleeping with a loaded weapon, then don't. maybe you should get those little beepers for all the doors and windows so you have time to get your weapon loaded when you need it. im sure an experiencce criminal could get around those, but most burglaries are done simply by kicking in the door or breaking a window.

A question for discussion - pretend for just one second that you are (stupidly) a nighttime burglar, and have elected to burgle an inhabited dwelling while the occupants are asleep. Would you or would you not check the nightstand for a firearm?

Csmass,

I think the point of robbing a house while the occupaints are asleep is to avoid the occupants and leave before they wake up.

Which, I would think, would mean avoiding getting to close to the sleeping occupaints. So no, I don't think burgelers would be checking the nightstands.

A question for discussion - pretend for just one second that you are (stupidly) a nighttime burglar, and have elected to burgle an inhabited dwelling while the occupants are asleep. Would you or would you not check the nightstand for a firearm?

NO ! If I did such a thing, . . . it would only be after I had figured out that what I want is where I can get it, . . . and I would not be dumb enough to go into the bedroom.

You can get shot right real good and dead doing stupid stuff like that.

May God bless,
Dwight

I would not go to sleep without a loaded gun within reach these days.. Even though I almost shot the fax machine yesterday night about 4am. Phone didn't ring , but decided to go through its motions for some reason? Sounded Exactly like outside door latch opening :)
I was alert and wide awake heading for door in about two seconds!

Upload from TapaTalk

3 young kids in my house.So mine has to be locked up in safe next to bed.But since we live out in the country-called the alarm company and had no less than 80 sensors added to the house.I have this place tighter than Fort Knox.It takes the police 30 minutes to get out here but it takes me 3 seconds to open my safe..

I keep a snub nose .38 a few steps away. It is fully loaded and ready to go though. If I am reaching for it, I don't want to have to mess with loading it.

My solution. The resident Beagle is worthless!

Attachments

• IMG_20130722_221539.jpg
    IMG_20130722_221539.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20130722_222207.jpg
    IMG_20130722_222207.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 42
In my country it is strictly forbidden to store a gun under the pillow or at any other place outside the weapon safe. But Merlin keeps watch and if that is not enough, I have a large butcher knife and can handle it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merlin.jpg (19.6 KB, 33 views)

Bellt MERLIN auf Deutsch?

I think the point of robbing a house while the occupaints are asleep is to avoid the occupants and leave before they wake up.
Is it? I would think if the burglar's primary goal was to avoid the occupants, he/she would make entry during the day when it is far less likely that anyone would be home.

Well, about a mile down the road, a guy got was returning from walking his dogs and got shot by a burglar who had found his bedside piece.....

Lot's of things wrong with that storyline (going unarmed and solo into your broken-in house w/out calling police, etc), but the crux of the turn of events seems to be that he left his bedside piece out.

Lock boxes are cheap.

Lock boxes are cheap.
And easily defeated with small tools. A lock box is, at best, a very short term obstacle and should only be considered a means of buying time and not a secure means of protecting a firearm from an intruder.

Every method of securing the gun can be defeated, given time and tools.

But a lockbox can and often does buy time, as a criminal who encounters one is more likely to pry the box off the wall and take the whole thing with him than he is to arm himself and lie in wait for the homeowner.

pax

Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world. – Mary Shafer

Is it? I would think if the burglar's primary goal was to avoid the occupants, he/she would make entry during the day when it is far less likely that anyone would be home.

Well, so would I. However, your question specifically mentioned burgerlers who come in at night.

Unless your opening this up to theives who double as pyscho bullies who want to hurt people and take stuff at the same time, yes, I would think the commen run of burgelers are ampting to avoid those they steal from.
And it's not like we're talking about folks all that bright in the first place.

I have two furry burglar alarms, Max and Bandit. If they didn't wake me up then it isn't real.

I have a similar alarm. Cody goes crazy at the slightest ''bump in the night''. I keep a handgun in my sock drawer at night. My wife has her revolver in the night stand drawer.

Burglars do strange things, sometimes...

I know because I was a Texas "Pre parole" officer for 12 years, which required me to interview criminals prior to their parole board decision vote.

I vividly remember a burglar who entered an occupied home late one night, stole a pistol off the coffee table, and left without awakening the lady asleep on the sofa, beside the coffee table!

Her pistol was the only thing stolen!

He said he did things like that (entering homes he knew were occupied) because it gave him an unbelievable adrenalin rush that he was addicted to.

On the other hand, a burglar confided in me that he always approached homes that were completely dark (no lights on), and surrounded by bushes he could hide in. Then he would throw a brick (which he carried to each crime scene) thru the bathroom window (the small window between the other, larger windows). When the thrown brick clattered noisily into the bathroom (usually landing in the bath tub), he waited for barking dogs, lights coming on, loud talking/yelling etc., from inside the house. If any of these things happened, he would simply run away in the dark. If no signs of alarm were apparent, he would climb thru the broken bathroom window and steal whatever was on hand.

Not all of them are low IQ.

Not all of them are low IQ.

No, they're not. And of course, IQ has nothing to do with being a successful burglar.

Nearly every burglar commits dozens more burglaries than we commit defenses of our homes. They're much more practiced at it.

And, um, they don't wear those little black eye masks like in the cartoons.

Sgt Lumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back