Lithium Grease in Barrel?

It's understandable that you just spent good money on a gun and want to take care of it.

Read the owner's manual, understand how it works. Shoot decent ammo through it (not Tula, not Wolf, and not the cheapest brass .223 you can get). Clean it regularly, keep a light coat of oil on it, keep it climate controlled in low humidity, don't leave it outside or in the truck. Wipe it down lightly when you put it away for use. That will do it.

As for barrel break-in? Shoot it, clean it, repeat.

Anything else else is superstition that not even the high-end match shooters agree on. It works for many of them and others don't do it at all, but it's my opinion it's not required and especially not on a decent factory rifle like a CZ.

Shoot the gun regularly and those water-attracting by-products will get pushed out of the barrel (just to be replaced by new water-attracting by-products) but get sick for a few weeks and when you return to your gun, you may not be happy with the result.

So, unless you have an accurate crystal ball, clean your gun every time.

I got cancer that resulted in my taking a full year without shooting my rifle once. And there are guns that I will literally shoot for three months, and then put it away for the next 9 months.

I also pretty much only clean my guns right before a match. I've never had a rust problem in the bore.

As long as your gun is made out of quality materials or has a good finish process done to it rust isn't an issue you have to worry about unless you go scuba diving with your guns or shoot in the rain.

The link in the OP is really focusing on the use of soapy solid compounds as boundary lubricants in the barrel. The "grease" is simply a carrier for those solids and a mechanism for their application. The process described doesn't leave grease in the barrel.

Just a clarification. Not trying to support or refute the procedure.

I would think a detergent or something slippery like graphite might lubricate a bullet enough that you might notice a minimal reduction in fouling or leadding but as for more speed, thats a long shot... See what i did there

Back