List of powders that need magnum primers?

Actually, 2400 is best not used with a magnum primer. Elmer Keith put that to rest many years ago.

Don
However, it should be noted that when Elmer was shooting his 429421 with 22 grains of 2400, that load and powder was famous for copious amounts of unburned powder ejected on each shot. I have not seen that phenomenon with modern 2400 (I don't think it is same stuff) but shoot very little of it these days.

shoot very little of it (2400) these days.

You should. It's great stuff. I'm late to the 2400 party myself. Been loading magnum revolver since '84, and only first tried it in 2017 or so. It's fantastic. Very energetic. And although it won't give absolute top-end velocities like W296, it's far more versatile. Good for a wider range of bullet weights and charge levels. And no magnum primer required.

dahermit,

Elmer's one and only concern was accuracy. I haven't corresponded with him in 40 years and, of course, never will be able to again.

Don

I used a lot of 748 when I had my XP-100 in 7mmBR. I never used a magnum primer; I used (and still have) Remington BR 7-1/2s.

For the cartridges currently loading for, am using Fed sp mag primers for AA7 in 357 and 9mm. The 9mm loads are heavy 124 and 147 grainers, and 125/180 jhp's in 357.

AA7 didn't "need" the mag primers, but in testing produced better accuracy with them.

Also use mag primers with 748 in 223 and 308. Again, 748 didn't "need" them, but produced better accuracy.

I have not heard of pressure aka a primer as a factor in ignition. So that is new to me.

I know the magnum primers add some pressure to the powder (more energetic)

I've never used magnum primers with WW296 in my .357 or my .41 Magnum loads.

I simply watch my loading density and use a lot of crimp.

In the 20+ years I've been reloading those rounds I've never had an issue with 296 failing to ignite.

I've used standard large rifle primers in my 7mm Rem Mag with the different Reloder powders up through RL26 with good results. But that waa when they were available.

Got caught with my pants down with this shortage!

Now, since i have a good supply of magnum primers, i'm using them to develop loads in my non magnum cartridges.

Back