Lightweight 6.5 Grendel project idea

Just a heads up, CZ just announced that they are releasing CZ 527 in 6.5 G. It's in a 24" barrel...which is good or bad depending on your perspective. I already have one on order but will be cutting it to 20" & recrowning. They are supposed to ship before end of Q1. Just wished they were releasing it on the Carbine with opensights.

Cheers,

Just a heads up, CZ just announced that they are releasing CZ 527 in 6.5 G. It's in a 24" barrel...which is good or bad depending on your perspective. I already have one on order but will be cutting it to 20" & recrowning. They are supposed to ship before end of Q1. Just wished they were releasing it on the Carbine with opensights.

Cheers,

I was going to correct you on the barrel length and lucky I went to the web first. You are right 24". GD!,,, CZ is taking marketing pointers from Remington now? I though they had a good finger on the pulse of the market.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american/

Anyone wanting a lighter, woods gun could wait and see if they offer the 18" carbine.. The 18 is a handy in my 223. I am going to save my money and wait on this. I had such hopes for the 6.5G and now CZ does it like this.

These idiots offer the 527 American in 7 calibers all 21.8 inches except for the 6 point 5. This just jerks my chain. I am not cutting a barrel.

It very cold out right now, I just need to continue my CZ rant. The weight increase from 18" carbine to 22" American is 1/2 pound. That can be extrapolated to a 3/4 pound weight increase for a 24" American !!

The carbine is under 6 pounds assumed with steel cz rings that come included for no extra cost. With careful scope selection that is 6.5 pounds total weight (no ammo). Aftermarket medium aluminum rings are available. I forgot the maker(Warne) I used to get a medium height. They are QD and aluminum. The carbine has benefit of backup iron sights.

So I remember reading a while back about CZ-USA starting to sell the cz 527 action with 7.62x39 bolt. Not sure if this is still going on but you might be able to get your local cz dealer to call and order you one. Only price I could find was from $2015, going for like $480 then.

Risasi
I've often thought of building a bolt to compliment my AR in 6.5 Grendel. But one thing always stops me...have you looked into 260 Remington?
When I was looking into an antelope stopper, one path I went down was "Could this be done with an AR?" Most definitely, an AR in 6.5G or 6.8 SPC would do the trick at the distances I can shoot well. When I compared the ballistics to a 260 Rem, though, there was no doubt that the 260 stomped on them both and could be my backup elk rifle as well. I went with the 260 Rem bolt rifle.

That said, if you were just making a small, low recoil bolt gun for smaller game, a 6.5G project rifle sounds ideal for all the reasons specified. I say go for it and let us know how the project worksout.

Amen fourbore!

We are on the same page...I would also love the iron sights as well. On barrel length, even Bill Alexander said the best all around length was 19"-20"...with diminishing returns after that & no Returns on +24". It bugs me to cut it down but I'd with it for my needs until they wise up & put it the Carbine

Alex,

It is just too cost prohibitive to me to go that route. Especially, when I can buy the whole factory rifle for less than $600. Even with a cut down & recrown, I think I'll still be far ahead.

Cheers,

Having just recently gone through this decision process building a hunting rifle for my son, I will add my opinion here. I wanted a light-weight bolt action rifle to build a 7mmBR for my son, who is 9 years old. I looked at the Remington Model 7, the CZ 527, and the Mini-Mauser. I chose the Mini-Mauser for some (what I feel are) very good reasons:
1- It really is a miniature action, not just a shortened action, so it is lighter and smaller than a Howa, Remington Model 7, or a 700 short action. Several ounces lighter than any of them. Ounces add up into pounds.
2- Since the action and magazine are thinner, the stock can be thinner as well. Remember, a lot of weight comes from your stock, so making it thinner and lighter will reduce weight nicely. Again, ounces add up to pounds.
3- No magazine box sticking out right at the balance point to clutter up carrying the rifle one-handed. The magazine in the Mini-Mauser has a drop floorplate for ease of unloading, but no big magazine sticking out right where you want to put your hand. And an internal box mag is lighter than a DBM.

So I opted for the Mini-Mauser action, opened the bolt face to take the 7mmBR, put a Green Mountain barrel on it with about #2 or #3 contour, slapped a Timney on it, reworked a ruined but nicely figured stock I had taken off someone's rifle because of their aborted attempts at stock-making, and put it all together. I wound up with a nice, compact deer rifle that weighs well under 6 lbs with a 3-9 scope on board. Not truly a lightweight, you say? True, but for a first-year hunter, I didn't want any recoil, and I achieved that. Plus it is accurate (about 1/2" @ 100 yds), extremely compact, and looks good to boot.

As far as usefulness of the cartridge, I see a lot of folks swooning over the 22 Hornet (which just baffles me), and I see people trying to hunt with everything from popguns to cannons. I say "more power to 'em". So, if the OP wants a 6.5 Grendel bolt rifle, go for it. It's a project rifle. It may never get changed, but it may get rebarreled and changed several times over its lifetime.

Last edited:
I started the thread about 6 months ago and hadn't been able to start the project because of a change in work and financial situation, so it had fallen by the wayside.

With CZ beginning to offer them in a number of calibers (supposedly suppressor-ready .300 blackout will be coming soon) I don't really have a reason to do so.

But I may decide to at one point as an experiment. Just probably won't be soon.

I've just started my micro bolt build with a CZ 527 action, 7.62X39 action. I have purchased the action ($350.00) and have order a PAC-NOR 24", 6.5mm SS barrel in a CZ 527 contour ($325.00).

Four years ago, I built an AR in 6.5X6.8 SPC, since I have dies and brass, I'll build this CZ in the same 6.5X6.8 SPC case. The 6.5X6.8 SPC, isn't much different than the 6.5 Grendel, but does produce 100 to 200 fps advantage. I have ordered the reamer and GO gauge from Pacific tool ($225.00).

What I like about the CZ 527 action is it comes with bolt, magazine, floor plate and a great set trigger. I have the same gun in .223 and love it.

For the stock I'll make my own hand laid carbon stock. I made one several years ago for my current CZ .223.

Like others have said, the Howa Mini 1500 is chambered in 6.5 Grendel in either a sporter weight 22" barrel or a heavier varmint style 20" barrel. Also CZ just announced the 527 in 6.5 Grendel in either the carbine or American sporter style. With the American having a 24" barrel.

I'm planning on grabbing both the Howa with the 20" heavy barrel as well as the CZ American with the 24" barrel sometime this year.

Back