Lightest Glock Mods

I would also consider that the folks at 460Rowland don't have a problem with reaming out barrels for the G26 to my knowledge...
According to their website they only offer the conversion on "medium to full size" 9mm pistols.
So, IMHO, these pistols are way over engineered...
I would agree that they're over-engineered for 9mm as they come from the factory. That doesn't necessarily mean that you can get away with running them with lighter slides and hotter than typical +P+ ammo though. Like I said, it would be worthwhile to talk to Rowland about your plans. Maybe they will tell you it's not a problem.
...I am thinking that Im unlikely to be able to take off enough weight in these more modest calibers, that it could make a catastrophic difference (at least not that couldn't be mitigated by a heavier spring to slow down the slide...
Well, you can think, or you can ask the folks who developed the conversion what they think, and what they have found with their experimentation during the development process. It's not like they're going to charge you for the advice so you really have nothing to lose.

By the way, slide velocity during rearward travel is affected a surprisingly small amount by recoil spring weight. Here's an interesting article on the topic.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/recoil-spring-rate-affects-timing/99604#

As I have indicated, I have had quite a bit of interaction with the folks over at 460R. Unfortunately, I don't believe they have put in the same level of thought and testing into the 960R that went into the original 460R. Just my impression. I believe a lot went into their "rowlandator" mod to compensate the slide speed with the G30... but that level of detail seems to be lacking in the recent 960R. By the way, there is nothing particularly special about a "conversion" it is just the barrel reemed out the extra fraction of an inch to accommodate their longer case. With some offerings, they recommend the use of a heavier spring. But the rowland folks are first to admit that the only real reason they made the case length different, was not for the extra case capacity, but to keep yahoos from inadvertently loading the hotter round in a barrel that lacked the wall thickness they believed necessary for safety. To my understanding (I haven't reloaded either 9mm or 45acp to these levels) the 460r and 960r loadings/velocity can be achieved with by handloaders willing to push the envelope to its max.

The factory 960 Rowland ammo was reviewed shortly after it was introduced. The 147 grain ammo fell short of published speed.
https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/960-rowland-review/77904#

Handloading can get you closer to published ballistics if the proper precautions are taken.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/handloading-960-rowland/99387

The original 960 Rowland conversions had a compensator, which effectively slowed down the slide. I see now they have dropped that and just ream the chamber for the 960 (9X23 Winchester case).

For true speed in a 9mm one could shoot 9 Major. :)

But you'd need to make sure your gun and barrel are up to required standards or bad things could happen.

As I have indicated, I have had quite a bit of interaction with the folks over at 460R.
I've read what you've posted. I've also noted that you have always stopped short of saying that you've asked them about putting a lightened slide on a G26 and shooting their conversion in it.
By the way, there is nothing particularly special about a "conversion" it is just the barrel reemed out the extra fraction of an inch to accommodate their longer case.
I'm well aware of that. They're counting on the overengineered nature of the pistols they convert to handle the extra slide velocity gracefully. And they're probably right for otherwise unmodified pistols they recommend the conversion for. However, there's only so much margin there to play with.

They take some of it in the form of a hotter cartridge in a gun that's designed for something much milder. Is there margin enough left for you to put a significantly lighter slide on it AND do that to a subcompact 9mm in spite of the fact that they specifically note that their conversion is for medium to full-size pistols? I don't know. You don't know. Hopefully they know, but the only way to find out is to ask them. Or you can just wing it and hope everything works out ok. After all, it's your gun, your hands, your eyes.

If you do decide to wing it, I do think that you should be considerate enough of others to do your experiment where no one else can be injured if things go wrong.

As far as 960R goes, Im fairly done with that cartridge until the folks at 460Rowland can figure out why I am only getting 1200fps when they advertise 1400fps...

In the meantime, my current project is to figure out the "sweet spot" for lightweight and maximum performance.

Something like a G27 with an extended 4.5 or 6 inch barrel would push a hot doubletap or Underwood 40S&W ammo at average G29 10mm velocities... but out of a several ounce lighter platform... so that is intriguing.

Then there is the idea of putting a BarSto 10mm barrel in a G30S, which again would be a fairly light combo (still heavier than the G27 option though). (I already have the 45Super version of this... but the extra weight of the heavier 45 bullets is outweighing some of its utility for my ultralight build... it would save a couple of ounces to drop down to 10 200gr 10mm bullets vs 10 255gr 45 bullets)

Or even taking a G41, cutting down the grip to accept the G29/30 mags, and then putting in a 6 inch KKM 10mm barrel. Perhaps even having the G41 slide "cut" to take out some additional weight. (If I could make this set up the same weight as my G30S, then that might be something... about 1.5 ounces of slide weight difference is all)

Has anyone messed with any similar conversions or mods successfully?

Back