Lightening Revolver Trigger Pull

Strain screw shims

The only thing I will do to lighten the trigger in my S&W's is to put in a slightly lighter rebound spring. I never replace the mainspring for reliability reasons, and I wont drop too low on the rebound spring as to ensure reliable reset.

That is what I do, especially for rim-fire. I do speed shooting sports like SCSA and need reliable ignition but also a fast rest. I don't like a real light trigger pull.

On S&W 617's I use a 13lb rebound with a stock hammer spring and if I get a slow reset (usually with a new gun) I make a 0.010" shim washer to put under the strain screw. I make them by drilling a hole (size of the thread) in 0.010" SS sheet stock and cut out the small washers (diameter of the screw head) with scissors.

This allows you to keep the strain screw tight and is easily adjustable by adding or taking one out. You can remove them later when the new gun gets broken in, I just leave them if no ignition problem. It only takes 1 or 2 shims (for my guns), each shim = 1/3 turn of the strain screw.

Last edited:
I got the trigger tested at my range. The single action is 1.9 lbs and the double action is 5.4 lbs.

Total work I did:
Polished 3 of the 4 DA engagement surfaces
Cut 2.5 coils off of rebound spring
Loosened strain screw 1 1/4 turns
Applied vaseline/motor oil mix grease

The trigger still resets reliably and I don't get any light primer strikes in double action(tested with cci 500 primers). Its unlike any trigger I've ever felt. You barely have to touch it to set it off. Glad we all had this discussion.

Your life & your toy.
I wouldn't own a Smith that'd had that done to it.

And if you fire it much like that, your strain screw WILL back itself out.
Denis

Vaseline is a terrible lubricant for guns.
If you use a proper lubricant, you probably can just stay home and let your gun go to the range and shoot itself!
At least until the strain screw backs out....

To each their own then. If it backs out I tighten it. Its not the end of the world. Its not a self defense pistol nor will it ever be.

Bill, Its not vaseline, it is motor oil with vaseline melted in to give it more staying power. Its thicker than regular motor oil, but still liquid. I simply don't see the point in spending 20 dollars for 4oz of lube that only lubes or protects when this does both and has proven to work so dam well for the past 4 years I've been using it. But that's a different discussion for a different thread.

Back