Light weight but heavy duty

Lightest Heavy Calibre Sidearm

Don't even wanna get into this pistols and bear business, but suffice it to say, I'm for anyone who believes in carrying a sidearm as long as he knows how to use it and understands its limitations.

Lightest reliable heavy sidearm I know is an old Ruger flat top 44 with barrel truncated to 4-5/8 inches. Makes a first rate woods carry gun when a heavy calibre is dictated and I've never handled one of the flat top 44's that wouldn't shoot better than it's owner.

Still, it's stout recoil combined with the old Colt SAA gripframe takes some work to use well. Flat tops seem to be always available in GUN LIST ads at not unreasonable prices if you don't demand a collectible iteration and that allows one to truncate and re-finish with one of ROBAR's outstanding finishes to make a pretty reliable belt gun for the woods.

Hope this is helpful....

I drive lead from my 5.5" Redhawks, both 44 and 45, at completely stupid velocities, with no discernible leading. Your results may vary.

(I've shot over 1,000 rds of 240g LSWC without cleaning through the 44 recently; IPSC/USPSA, you know.)

Flat top 44's

DROTHEN: Good luck. If you like the Colt SAA grip, I think you'll be pleased with the flattops. A flat top 44 was the first handgun I bought for myself as a high school student in Alaska back in the Territory days--In retrospect, I will say it probably set my development as a handgun shooter back a few years. Makes a slick carrying piece and if you can run across one of the old Bianchi SA cross draw rigs (I think they're discontinued), it was a good, inexpensive way to carry the piece in the field.

If you really need an excuse to buy a gun... But in all the years I have hiked in Washington, Idaho and Oregon I have never felt the need for a gun. Hunting yes, hiking no. There is an excellent site regarding bear attacks written by a guy from Alaska. Bottom line is that if you are unfortunate enough to be attacked by a grizzly, play dead. Generally they will leave humans alone unless you are interpreted as a danger to their young. Black bears like we have in Washington are generally scared of people and will go out of their way to avoid humans. Occasionally you will find bears that have become used to humans, but they generally are not aggressive and loud noises will send them running. It is very rare to *see* a bear out in the woods. They will usually smell you a long way off and give you a wide berth.

Makarov, I certainly agree that the odds are, you won't encounter a bear that is agressive, out in the boonies. But, perchance you do, then quite suddenly, you are not part of the odds, you are part of the statistics.

I know that if a black bear attacks you, he/she is going to kill you. If you're armed, you might come out alive. Unarmed, you're gonna be dinner for that black bear for several days.

As for Grizzly bears, perhaps you can "play dead" while being mauled by a Grizzly, but frankly, I don't think I have that discipline. So, as I have for many years, I'll continue to carry my .41 Mag., or .45 L.C., for an insurance policy. To paraphrase Blance DuBois, "I shall not depend on the kindness of strange bears."

Actually, I am more concerned with the "two legged bears" out in the boonies, than the four legged ones.

To each his own. J.B.

Black bears...

It's that "generally" that leads to trouble, Makarov.

A woman was stalked [rangers later said for over a mile] and killed by a black bear sow and a yearling last year in the Great Smoky Mts. National Park.

First time it had ever happened, but it doesn't make any difference to her -- she's dead.

You know how to tell whether a black bear or a grizz are in the area? The scat of the black bear contains the remains of berries and nuts; that of a grizz contains the remains of those little bells that hikers wear on their packs and smells like pepper spray. ;)

Well, the key here is that when I told my wife that I was going to have to buy a bigger gun when they introduced the grizzly, she nodded her head.

Still, I have never been the playing dead type.

I've got to remember that one. The latest one I used was "honey, I need a hi-cap 9 mill before they're gone forever". I don't think she bought it but she didn't say no either. Best Regards, J. Parker

Actually, you'll need to travel in 2s. Each carrying their preferred weapon. That way when the bear attacks one the other can blast him (hopefully he/she will be a good shot)You see, usually Mr. Bear doesn't walk up and say hello. There have been countless hunters, attacked and killed/mamed-sp?, while toting big bore rifles. How, why?, because they don't see or hear the bear. And, their in his back yard. The bear is just as scared of them as they are of him. Thats why all those hikers wear bells and whistles while hiking.

My choice, if the bear gave me a chance, would be a good dose of Bear Spray. Followed by a Red Hawk .44mag/hard cast.

I'm old enough to have seen psychotic's in ALL species! I don't want to be a bear's meal just because this year has been a bad one for him! If I am, an empty .44 Mag will be found clutched in my hand! "generally"......"normally"....those words scare me!

For anyone that hikes on a regular basis, carrying a gun that ways 3 lbs or more is unacceptable on a long trip, if one is not hunting.

Since I don't live in bear country, (a stray dog would probably be the biggest carnivorous "game" I would see), a lightweight gun like any of the Taurus lightweights, is certainly acceptable, or possibly a glock 33 or 29.

For lightweight backpacking trips, a taurus model 85 multialloy ti at 13 ounces is an adequate choice for self defense.

There are two types of "woods" guns; (1)locales with bears and (2)locales without bears. IMHO, that's always the determining factor. (2)locales without bears? Just about any calibre will do. (1)locales with bears? You need a heavy calibre with hunting type bullets that will drive deep. Drothen; Good choice. If you want a good array of ammo try going to http://www.cheaperthandirt.com. That's where I recently picked up so 41 maggie ammo for myself. Best Regards, J. Parker

From the info you have given it does sound like the .41 mag Tracker would fit you well.

If it were me, I would go with a .454 Redhawk in a shoulder holster to better distribute the weight.

Back