Light strikes or diamond-made primers?

It's far more likely to be improperly seated primers than anything else.
It ever misfired with factory ammo?
You using .44 Special brass or Mag cases loaded to Special velocities? Highly unlikely to be the cause of misfires though.
"...primers are regular hardness..." There's no such thing as a harder primer cup. Even with magnum primers they're all the same.

I agree it’s likely to be primer seating that’s the cause, although I question how true it is that there is absolute uniformity in the materials used by all primer manufacturers.

Either way, I hope to see if the faulty cartridges will fire today as I’m swinging by the range in the afternoon.

The Redhawk has a different internal system than the GP100, SP100 and the Super Redhawk.

Don't get me wrong, they all share some similarities, but the GP100, SP100 and Super Redhawk are basically almost identical internally while the Redhawk has a different mainspring/trigger return setup.
Yes of course, my bad for misinformation. Thanks for the correction. I forgot that the Redhawk and Super Redhawk were different. Like I said I’m not a Ruger revolver guy, had Smiths all my life. I guess my main point was a Ruger can very easily be improved drastically with the right parts and a little elbow grease.

Well, I tried the misfired cartridges as part of a broader test of some light magnums.

In all cases the primers that had already been struck, fired. DA and SA.

So it seems primer seating was the issue.

A relief, to be honest.

So, I now know that they were the problem, I've found my competition magnum load and I've found a SJSP load that had sat undetermined for about 18mths!
:)

Back