Light hammer strikes S&W J-frame

I suspect it may be a reloading issue. I have nothing "figured out". Im not sure what gave anyone that idea.

Well it was you who said:

This gun has already had over a thousand rounds of factory ammo with no issue. buying two boxes of factory ammo to put through it isn’t a helpful experiment.

That about rules out the idea that it's the gun that is the problem. But coupled with the information that you also supplied:

More recently it has fired over a thousand rounds of handloads with standard(soft relative to magnum) SPP with no light hammer strikes or FTF of any kind.

That info along with your description of having shot 200 of your own reloads with 2, failures to fire. All points away from it being the gun about as definitively as it gets.

It's your reloads. You're doing something inconsistently.

I knew a fella said he had a problem with his pants he said. So I'm a sucker and I asked him. Said he left the house 30 days the previous month and for 30 days his pants stayed up but on the 31st they fell down to his ankles. So what was different that day, I asked. Nothing he said, I just didn't buckle my belt, but it was the same pants.

tipoc

CCI 550 Magnum small pistol primers

CCI magnum primers have a harder cup, and they are slightly larger, so it could be that you did not completely seat the primers on those two rounds. First hammer blow seats primer, second fires it.

Answer: use factory rounds for self defense, or buy 100 more CCI primers and seat them harder, or use Winchester magnum primers which are softer.

Back