lifetime wheelgun.

bullfrog99

I am interested in a general purpose handgun that could do CCW if i need to use it as such, and also to take deer if I decide to do so. A constaint companion that will never let me down, and that I can grow old with. I Like wheelguns, and am looking for one pistol that will out last me. any suggestions?

A good .357 would fit the bill...maybe a *&* Model 686 in 4". Easy to tote, durable, and capable of absorbing some mean .357 loads, like Georgia Arms Deerstoppers.

Or how about a Model 610 in 10mm Auto? Load it with .40 for CCW, and hot 10mm loads for hunting. Get the 4" or 5" tube so it's manageable for CCW, and you're good to go. N-Frames will outlast you as far as durability goes.

Ruger KGP-141 if you want one in 357mag. Or , the S&W Model 610 like Lendringser suggested. I use the Ruger KGP-141 and love it.

My handgun which has been around the longest is a 4" blued Security Six. It would (and one dark day actually was) the last gun to go. I've had it 25 years, and it's been fired several thousand rounds.

The Security Six is lighter and a bit more compact than the GP100 or the L-frame, but is very durable. They're still around, used but in good condition.

NO-BRAINER

You have described perfectly the KGP-141 (4" stainless 357 GP-100).

Long enough cylinder and robust construction for 180g deer loads, still small enough for easy concealment, and of simple design for maintenance and repair.

Own two, used for testing, stunningly accurate, my personal "one-gun-only" choice (but I have a pair).

BUY.

Another vote for a 4" 357 Magnum. Ruger is a good choice too.

4" Taurus Titanium in .41 mag. Big bore, lightweight, yet packing the punch of the .41 magnum. The big advantages are it's considerably lighter than anything mentioned above (~30 oz), it's smaller than the big N frame Smiths, and is .41 caliber. One disadvantage is it's a 5 shooter.

USER COMMENT

Have not fired the 41 Tracker, but some feedback from customer suggests that "heavy recoil" should be expected.
(Customer may not still own Tracker LOL.)

Yes, unfortunately 30 oz is going to translate into more felt recoil, but if used as a CCW arm and occasional hunting rather than a daily shooter, it should fit the bill quite nicely.

I'd suggest you go for a larger caliber than .357 if you're going to take deer with your handgun. I'd look at a .41, .44, or .45 with a 4" barrel.

If it is going to be a carry gun, it should be shot often untill you become VERY good with it. And then still shot often so that you stay sharp with it. If you loose the lottery and actually have to use it to protect yourself or another...you will need to be better than the bad guy. If it is not comfortable and enjoyable to shoot you will not spend the time with it to give yourself the edge required to win.

That said, I recommend stayin away from heavy hittin lightweights.

Sam

A ruger redhawk in .45 colt, 5" barrel. Tough as nails. Excellent man stopper, good against deer. Can be hidden under loose chlothes in a pinch.

got to be a medium barreled .357 mag
verstiliity of the .38 spl WC to 180gr jhp for hunting
3"-5" as a compromise between velocity lost and concealability

ruger will last forever, security-six is easier to carry than the gp100 without giving up much strenght. as much as i like the .41mag, .44spl and .45acp, i think they are a bit large to carry all the time.

a friend had the "almost perfect" .357 made up on a security-six with tuned action, round-butted frame and 5" python barrel

I own a number of "wheel" guns and.....

recommend the S & W 686P with a 4" barrel in .357. It has a 7 shot cylinder (for which speed loaders are available) and certainly meets the criteria you specify in your post. With good care it will last a lot longer than either you or I will. Good shooting!

Other considerations:

a) If CCW is most important then I would select a
Smith & Wesson 686 with a 4" barrel.

b) But, if you run across deer very often; then I
would select the same firearm with a 6" tube.

c) And, a nice compromise would be a 629 Classic
.44 magnum, with a 5" barrel. Also, makes an
excellent choice for hunt'in gator's.:eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

thanks for all your advice, i'm thinking of going with the gp-100, simply for durablility and accuracy reasons. Keep em comin and sway me if you think your idea is better.

How does this group feel about a 4" Dan Wesson? This would give bullfrog99 the option of changing barrels. I have owned mine for 10 years and never had a problem. I bought it in like new condition for $200. It has been a great purchase. Regards, Richard

Back