Lifespan of a Desert Eagle

It is stated by Magnum Research as the barrel or slide.

It's not the barrel or slide, it's the barrel.

Just the barrel assy. It is an assembly, but one that once made, does not come apart. And that's why it can't be cleaned the way other gas systems can be. You would literally have to cut it apart to get access, and then you'd have to weld it back together AND get it in spec, Cheaper and easiter to just replace it.

There are four (4) right angle turns in the gas path, its not something you can really clean.

I know of a guy who did not follow DE's recomendations. He shot lead bullets in his. It did plug. NO idea how many rounds were fired, but not a lot, couple boxes or so, I think. He took it to our local smith. (A real old time smith with decades of skill and experience) He couldn't clear it.

Gun wound up going back to Desert Eagle. When the gun came back, it had a new barrel, and a bill for the new barrel as well. (nearly half the cost of the gun!)

Replacing a plugged barrel because YOU ignored the rules and shot lead bullets is NOT covered warranty repair work.

Can't tell you how many rounds it will take to wear out a DE, but I can tell you that you can BREAK ONE with a small number of the wrong kind of rounds. Jacketed bullets only, and only jacketed bullets with no exposed lead at the base. And loads need to be pretty much "full house" or the gun won't cycle. Its NOT ADJUSTABLE!!

MR says the non recommended ammo will solder into the holes and have to be replaced. https://www.magnumresearch.com/faq-de/

So a bit off topic if you follow their ammo guidelines. Probably.

I still am seeing "cracked" threads, even on this forum, about the desert eagle. I have since learned it isn't related to clogged gas ports. Thanks

Mine broke

I bought an early one back in 1989, brand new, .44 magnum, similar to this one, IMI made in Israel, no US markings. Love at first sight.

920f3ca51de9704ea56b13dca5aa3fd8.jpg

The slide broke where the piston pushes it.

27aa514f92cf3ff57d46e29786546cb5.jpg

Had it replaced and sold it. Before that it was very unreliable, at least one failure per mag, despite trying every commercial load I could find, then rolling my own with different bullets (always jacketed) and powder charges.

Probably my worst gun memory.

Back