Lexington and Concord

I don't know why everyone keeps saying the British were coming to take our firearms because they were not. They were coming to take ball and powder. Interesting, sound familiar? Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.

....is this some form of reference to a tin foil hat conspiracy, explaining the lack of availability of ammo and reloading components right now?

Umm, the British Regulars were also looking for cannons the British Colonials had in their possession.
Correct! The primary objective of the mission was to seize the cannons and cannonballs. The powder and shot were secondary objectives. The militia had cannons. Artillery. Equal in quantity and quality to that of the British Army. And they considered it their right. The purpose was not for deer or duck hunting. The purpose was to provide a counterbalance to any standing army which would be anyone paid to carry a government gun.

I helped someone study for their citizenship naturalization test. The test asked, "What issue sparked the Revolutionary War?" The answer they were looking for was Taxes. Wrong. It was a gun confiscation raid. The test also asked, "What type of government did the Constitution establish?" They were counting Democracy as the correct answer. I don't think Republic was even one of the choices.

Do remember the times. There were "standing armies" in North America, Some 20 years before the Revolution the citizen's militia fought a war serving with British regulars against the French and their Indian allies.

The British army was in North America. The French Army was in North America, there were some Spanish troops in Florida, and there were also hostile and aggressive native peoples all of which could be a threat to the colonial citizens.

The various militias had cannon (as they could afford them) because there was a NEED for them. A real need, not just an imagined one.

as to this,
"What issue sparked the Revolutionary War?" The answer they were looking for was Taxes. Wrong.

I believe the issue was taxes. Unfair taxes and other requirements all without colonial representation of any kind when the laws were passed in Parliment.

The incident that set things off was the gun confiscation raid.

Taxes to pay for the French & Indians War, and to pay for troops thereafter to protect the frontier.
Taxes which the mercantile colonies (the Yankees) found to be an impediment
Taxes which lead to the Boston Tea Party
The Tea Party which led to the `74 Intolerable Acts (including taking away Mass self Gov't and closing Boston Harbor)
The Intolerable Acts which led to the 1st Continental Congress (`74)

From that point it spiralled.

So yes... it was Taxes which sparked the Revolution

So yes... it was Taxes which sparked the Revolution
Agreed.

It was the colonists' opposition to and rebellion against taxes that caused the British to want to take possession of the colonists' arms. The revolution wasn't over arms, it was over taxes.

If you haven't done so, I recommend, very strongly, to go to the Old North Bridge and to walk the road the British retreated along.

The park service has endeavored to preserve the landscape around the area and has even restored a period tavern.

It is very humbling to see first hand the price paid.

Something I did not know: there is a monument to the British soldiers who lost their lives there.

The inscription really struck me:
They came three thousand miles and died
To keep the past upon its throne:
Unheard, beyond the ocean tide,
Their English Mother made her moan.

In the mid 80's, visiting family in Downeast Maine, my uncle showed me one MINT revolutionary war era flintlock rifle that he had. Several had been located beneath the floorboards of the town hall, hidden from the British back in the day. Flash forward to modern day; during reconstruction, the rifles were located, each of the Town selectman kept one, hence my Uncle getting his. It shined as it had been packed in some kind of grease, looked brand new. Powder and ball were located as well.

"We could create some kind of town historical display."

"Ayuh, we could. But hear me out..."

" No taxation without representation".

That was the thing. Many Americans had no objection to paying taxes. What they wanted was for the English government to tell each colony what they owed, then let the colonial government figure out how to collect the money. The Virginia Resolves basically said "Only Virginians should tax Virginians." Most of the other colonial governments wrote similar statements. It was a matter of "We'll pay you what we owe you. Just let us do it our way." George III was sometimes stupid and stubborn and this time he would not allow the colonials to tell him what to do. So he lost all of North America.

There was the problem of British snobbery-look at how they treated Franklin when he arrived to plead the Colonists case-and the failure of the British to integrate the Colonists into their society. In the 150 years or so of Colonial history only one American-William Pepperell-was elevated to the peerage.
"Tarquin and Caesar each had his Brutus, Charles I his Cromwell-'TREASON !'-and George III may do well to benefit from their example ! If this be treason then make the most of it!"

Back