Lever vs Bolt

Obviously intended purpose is the deciding factor but accuracy is a relative term. No the average lever gun won't shoot with the average marlin, savage or cz bolt gun. Tack driving accuracy? Depends on the shooter, the size of the tacks and how far away the tacks are. I suppose it's possible.........

But on the flip side bolt action .22s are boring as watching paint dry. Unless you are looking at competition get a lever action and don't look back.

I picked up a .22 Henry youth model, and running
CCI CB shorts (low noise, 710 fps) through is almost
unbelievable plunking fun. About as loud as a pellet rifle,
and about 20x more fun!

Unless you put them on a bench I doubt you will see any difference between a good lever and a bolt.

If you are a good shooter it makes a big difference ... this is beyond contestation; just on the trigger alone, even without the barrel, lockup factors, etc... Hitting x-rings the size of a .22 round, off-hand at 50 meters is not a place lever guns want to hang out at ... seriously, and I Love Lever guns!

I dunno - we've been talking rimfires and tube fed levers - but - I got this Winchester 95 in 30-06 from my wife for our 25th anniversary (yeah - I know - I did "help" he find it - husbands are obligated to help our wives any way we can) - only mod is the Williams FP71 aperture rear sight with aperture removed for ghost ring sight -

AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

I don't do "bench rest" but just rest my supporting fist on the tables at the range - I zeroed the sights to hit point of a at 25 yards and "fine tuned" that to hit 2" above POA at 100 yards - with this result -

W95100yds.jpg

The shots in pairs are all less than one inch center to center apart (one MOA - random singles were "elbow rest" and I have some tremor age related (was only 79 then). I don't see any bolt guns doing significantly - if any - better than that here.

Possibly the pointed bullets the 95 shoots are more accurate than the rounded ones out of a tube magazine ?

JimBobTX That model 95 is beautiful!!! I love the lever actions without the tubular magazine.
Yesterday 06:37 PM

Thanks - as you can see, it shoots at least as good as it looks - when I take it to the range, though, my shooting is frequently interrupted by fellow shooters wanting to see and hold it - everyone should have that kind of problem -

As I noted, it was a 25th anniversary gift from my wife some 7 years ago - all she got was this little diamond ring -

P5290002.jpg

and she's still convinced she got the best of the exchange - women - gotta love'em ;)

Back