Lever gun for HD??

I wouldn't have to think twice about it. I'd probably go with the .45Colt, in the shorter barreled "Trapper" configuration. Small size, easy handling, reasonable power.

I think a pistol caliber carbine is a good choice.

The best firearm for home defense is the one in your hands. Put plenty of practice into a lever action, if you do not completely cycle the action it will jam. A jammed firearm is a bad thing in a HD situation.

We bought a piece of 8acre property this year that has a lot of woods and a pretty big lawn area. I decided a good Marlin lever-action would make a great defense weapon, at a comparatively cheap price weapon, for the homestead - both inside and out. Unfortunately "good" and Marlin didn't mix, as the new 41mag I bought jammed consistently. I refunded it back in towards a Benelli M1S90 (AND bought a Ruger RH 41mag they happened to have to use up the ammo I had bought).
Later the Benelli went back for an AR-10, and THAT went back towards an M1A Scout for SHTF when the AR-10 wouldn't extract right.

Anyway, I too like the idea of something like a Beretta Storm for HD, and wouldn't mind another good tactical shotgun to go along with my Colt 1911, the Storm (9mm) & the Ruger.

My Winchester Trapper has never jammed, and all Marlin's I'm familiar with have been reliable also.

My current HD carbine is a Mechtech CCU on a 1911 frame (.45ACP) to go along with my 1911's, and a lightly customized 870. Perhaps you could look into the Mechtech since you have a 1911.

www.mechtechsys.com

HD recomendation...

consider the M1 Carbine, with smoothed polished feed ramp and HP's. you have fifteen rounds in the mag with two additional fifteen in a buttstock pouch.
Any lever action is good just BE FAMILIAR with it!!!

Hey...It works for this guy...

homer_gun.gif

There are better choices, but a lever gun would do if thats all you had. Limited cartridge capacity, difficult and slow to reload, sighting issues, and speed of chambering another shot. If you are serious about defense, then get an AR or AK.
That a given weapon is suitable is in a best case scenerio, does not always translate well in worst case scenerios.

While slow reload is a problem with a lever-gun (along with the other HD staple, the pump shotgun), unless its a SHTF scenario, this probably won't come into play. Most pistol-caliber lever guns hold 8+ rounds.

Also the chambering the next shot is fairly quick, especially if you learn to operate the lever (or the pump on the venerable pump shotgun) from the shouldered position.

Mine is a Kel Tec Sub2000 in 9mm,in the S&W magwell configuration.I got the small forearm for it,and it kind of resembles an AR15.30 rounders are everywhere...

More Ammo

Actually you should consider a firearm that is belt fed. That way you will have hundreds of rounds of ammo available for HD. The tripod might hamper moblity a bit, but the number of shots you will have will more then make up for that.

This guy could do ANYTHING with a lever gun...

Well I could probably shoot faster if I had one of these gizmos, too. ;)

Oops, link went down. Well anyway, he had a screw put into the loop, so it would fire every time the lever closed.

jmm

Last edited:
I like lever actions because they can (arguably) go from condition 3 - chamber empty, loaded magazine - to condition 1 ready to fire - faster than any other action and are nearly as fast for followup shots as a semiautomatic.

.22 - for little varmints.

ABL22.jpg
[/IMG]

30-30 for larger threats.

AWINCHESTER94.jpg
[/IMG]

30-06 as backup.:rolleyes:

AWINCHESTER95.jpg
[/IMG]

:) :D

Last edited:
Another good feature of a lever gun for home defense is that it is "politically correct" (as unfortunate as the need for that may be :mad: ); people look at it and see "deer rifle."

Limited Ammo

Yeah, a round from a lever action should work.

But what happens when you run out of shots? Depending on the gun and cartridge, you will have around a dozen shots.

What if your HD ituation involves 13 intruders? What if you miss a lot?

A gun with hundreds of rounds would solve those situations. Even a small army could be kept at bay with such a weapon.

u bet! try a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag or 357 mag and u'll have a great HD compact carabine. It's compact, deliver plenty of energy and the good thing with a lever action is that as long as you have ammo in your pocket, you can reload while keeping aiming stand.I have a 1894 in 44 mag, mounted a surefire 6p on it and a tactical sling. I just love it! :D

What if your HD ituation involves 13 intruders? What if you miss a lot?

I think that I'd have bigger problems if that many people were trying to break into my house. That falls into the category of unreasonable and impossible odds. There are too many points of entry into my house for one man to cover. They could just burn me out. I think I would be bugging out, b/c you're talking about riot conditions.

jmm

Back