Lever advice

Do you guys feel the 16” version is too short?
Ballistically it's pretty much the perfect length for 357
The vast majority of loads reach peak velocity at ~16"
Anything over that and they typically start slowing down before passing the muzzle
About the only reasons to go over are if you want larger capacity or longer sight radius
I own several longer 357 LG's and IMO the 16" is perfect

I think my .357 Carbine is about perfect length at 16.5", and the tube loading doesn't bother me at all. I also have a Skinner peep installed that I like a lot.

...gotta say I would have spent $750 for the Henry before I'd spend the same $ for a Rossi...
Around here the Rossi’s are about $500, so there is a price difference.

I looked quite a while to find a 16” version. I find them very handy.

Last edited:
Very few firearms accidents and calamities are "documented" , one of the few is the problems with the low numbered M1903s since Hatcher was tasked with investigating them.
The loading drill for RevWar and Civil War reenacting keeps the muzzle away from the shooter.
Yes, look for a pre-cross bolt Marlin.

I'm just trying to get some idea if there has been an actual case of someone has been injured/killed as a result of loading a Henry tube-load magazine; in this day and age of instant internet communication and mass media I would think it would be "recorded" someplace. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I'm just wondering if there really is a correlation to making it a statistically less safe firearm.

The 16.5" Rossi is great for tight spaces and the weight is under 5 lbs. .357 works well in a rifle of this size and weight.

.357 lever

I've posted many times that a .357 lever carbine is a very useful firearm and one will not be disappointed in their acquisition. Ammo and components are (usually) plentiful. A wide range of ammo, from mild .38 spl. to all up magnum power yields tremendous versatility. A companion revolver so chambered is another plus.

A stubborn traditionalist, I'm opposed to red dots, suppressors, rails and such on lever carbines, but I get it, such additions may add some further usefulness under certain circumstances. One modification I do recommend is changing the sight system from the traditional bead and blade, to a peep sight. For some strange reason, my eyes have changed somehow for the good, and I can once again run a peep sight well enough to do fair shooting. Prior that, I was strongly considering a low powered variable scope.

Do any of the three discussed feed 38 wadcutters reliably? I like the idea of the .357mag for hunting , but most shooting is at paper or beer cans, and the 38 wadcutters are nicer. Too bad Savage didnt make a pistol cartridge 1899. Grant.

I have run thousands of 38's loaded with Lee's 158g tumble lube bullet through my Navy Arms (Puma, now Rossi)lever without issue. It's my favorite fun gun. No recoil or blast with 38's, but a beer can shredding monster with 357's. When my son brought his new shooter wife to play, she ignored all those msr loaded AK & AR mags and sent me looking for more 38 ammo. Nothing more satisfying than calling head shots on the 1/3 IPEC gong on the pistol range, then waiting that long second for the ping on the 100 yard gong.

Do any of the three discussed feed 38 wadcutters reliably?
I've yet to see a non-heavily modified LG that could feed wadcutters even remotely reliably
Most struggled to even function twice in a row
With semi-wadcutters i've seen some that were somewhat reliable, enough for a bit of plinking
But that seems more a function of technique and bullet profile than make/model
But thats my own experience

The older Marlins had the Micro-groove rifling, later ones had Ballard rifling at the request of CAS/SASS shooters who found it better for lead bullets.

lashes

I'd posted several times when I first hit this forum about "No scopes or white line spacers on your lever carbine". Then I turned 50 couple and my ability to run irons or even a peep on short barreled carbines took a turn for the worse. For reasons known only to the Almighty, I've discovered that my eyes will once again allow me to run a peep, even with a short barrel, well enough to do passable shooting.

I never scoped my Marlin.......no lashes for me!!!!!:)

For reasons known only to the Almighty, I've discovered that my eyes will once again allow me to run a peep, even with a short barrel, well enough to do passable shooting.
Give it some time--when you're on approach to 70 you may reconsider once again. ;)

Prefer the top ejection 92 action. I got a brand new Rossi 92 16 inch .44 magnum two and half years ago. It’s run like a Swiss watch and feeds special cases without a hitch.

SIGSHR,

"THE OLDER MARLINS HAD MICRO GROOVE RIFLING, LATER ONES HAD BALLARD RIFLING..."

You probably (maybe?) knew the original Marlin lever guns had the Ballard rifling up 'till the mid-50's, then went to the Micro groove rifling (M336s anyway). I never got into the CASS program, but I do remember reading about Marlin bringing back the Ballard rifling back in the later 90s.(?) And FWIW, I just posted this in case a newer shooter didn't know about the Marlin rifling history.

Also, in regards to the tube/loading gate business here, one should remember when all this came down through history, most everything was done on foot and/or horseback. The King's patent came out on the '66 Winchester (I believe) improving loading and a protection of the tube with the wood forearm (heat issues, too), and in regards to improving the original Henry Rifle's loading operation. I think loading rounds through the gate would be a whole lot handier whilst sitting horseback, or while running from a bad situation...or to one.

I do think the Henry's talked about here that have both accesses for loading is a pretty cool thing. Personally, I like my Marlin M336s and my M94 just the way they are. And it's just me, but I never cared for the looks of the new Henry's, but never really messed with one, either. My wife has both models of the Henry lever gun .22s, and like them a lot. The actions truly are butter smooth, and are very accurate, too.

Driftwood Johnson needs to chime in here!

chris in va,

To your inquiry for a rifle, I'd hunt for a nice older Marlin M94 carbine in your choice of cal. I have an M94SS in .41 mag. I like an awful lot. 20" barrel, very reliable, and very accurate. I do handload for that one.

Back