Lever advice

chris in va

I’ve had my Henry 22 for a long time and decided to get a lever in 357 or possibly 45C. Iron sights are ok but I do have a red dot that would make shooting a lot more fun, but it looks like some models top eject which I’m assuming wouldn’t work with a rail. Also I’d like to have a 20” for more capacity.

If you all could make a suggestion for one under $1000 I would appreciate it.

I have a Marlin in 357. It works well but I like my Henry 22 much better. If I were in the market I would look hard at Henry.

I just bought a break-open single shot in 444 marlin--a spectacular straight-wall cartridge and the next lever gun I buy will be in that. BTW, top ejects can work with a rail if you mount a scout or even pistol scope.

With current offerings, I’d go into a Henry side loader with no second thoughts, but I do not currently own one in .357.

If you are interested in a Marlin, I’d look it over for fit and finish, but Remington seems have worked through most of the quality issues. I would expect Ruger to do good things with the brand as they take over.

If you want to get in at a lower price point, Rossi is an option, but I would look it over and dry fire it. I find there is a substantial difference in triggers/actions on the Rossi’s.

Remington went belly up again. Don't know if the new owners have them in production but it may take time. Henry with the side gate is probably your best bet. 16 inch are a handy size for home defense. If longer range is your goal get the longer barreled gun.

The side gate AKA the King Improvement. More authentic, allows you to keep the rifle pointed away from you and towards the target while you reload.

The new Henry rifles with side loading gates & the removable loading tube are the best of both worlds. Easy & safe to load or top off the magazine while being able to quickly unload ammo without having to cycle rounds through the rifle.

The side gate AKA the King Improvement. More authentic, allows you to keep the rifle pointed away from you and towards the target while you reload.
Why would a rifle with tube loading be pointed at yourself when reloading. All you have to do is hold them at about a 45 deg angle pointed away from you and it works fine.

My LGS has a Rossi in both 45c and 357, $599/$749. Are they absolute garbage or worth a look? A bit short with the 16” barrel though, looks like a kid’s gun.

I don’t know if I can find a Henry here locally, I’ll check the used section next time I get a chance.

I've been very happy with my Rossi 92 in .45C...TBH I expected it to need some slicking up but it was plenty acceptable as-is and certainly not garbage. I got mine on sale early last year for less than 5 bills. My buddy has a Henry (non-gate) in .357 and I really liked shooting that - gotta say I would have spent $750 for the Henry before I'd spend the same $ for a Rossi but that might not be realistic right now. Pre-covid the Henry was selling for $750-$799 around here and just a bit more than I wanted to swing for a purely for-fun gun. The Rossi scratches the itch and I haven't regretted buying it. Helps that I already cast and load .45C for 3 other revolvers...

Why would a rifle with tube loading be pointed at yourself when reloading.

because people get careless...

A front loading tube magazine requires essentially the same position to load as a muzzle loader. The muzzle must be pointed up (to some degree) it will not work with the rifle held level or pointed down. Really tough to do in the prone position, which isn't so important today as it once was....

If it matters, the side gate rifle can be reloaded /topped up while "in action", Again, not something usually vital today, but it is something you cant do with a front loading tube mag gun.

If I were in the market (I'm not, already have a few) I'd look for an older Marlin, one made before Remington got involved, and one made before they added that useless pushbutton safety if I could find one. With the safety if that was all there was available. I've had both kinds, not a big deal functionally.

The solid flat top of the Marlins makes optics mounting simple and easy. Stock comb will be a little low, but there's ways to deal with that easily, as well.

Back