Lever action cartridges

don't think so

I could be wrong....sure have been before.......but I don't think the rimless Remington cartridges .25, .30 & .32 Rem were ever offered in LEVER, just the Remington 14/141 pumps and the 8/81 semiauto's.

The Remington series of rounds in .25, .30, .32, and .35 were intended to compete with the rimmed Winchester rounds. Load data for the .25,.30., & .32 is identical to the Winchester rounds (other than the fact that the Rem rounds can use pointed bullets, due to the ingenious design of the tube magazine of the Rem pumps and box mag of the semi autos.)

The .35 Rem was a bit of an odd ball, the only one of the series that didn't have a direct Winchester counterpart. And, as far as I know, the only one that was ever chambered in a lever action rifle, the Marlin.

There was even a time (a few decades!) when the only new rifles you could get in .35 Remington caliber were Marlins.

When Contender shooters discovered that they could shoot the .35 Rem, it enjoyed a resurgence in popularity, and tis still "alive" to this day.

Sources have it that (50) 30 Rem. Stevens 425's were made making them more common than the 25 and 32 Rem. ;)

As these rifles were SCARCE and few were made it doesn't change the facts. Personally I like the obscure; it gives us all an opportunity to learn. :D

Google is your friend and so is Paco Kelly's leverguns.

Edit to add: ratshooter... thank you for taking the time to look it up! :)

Quote:
You are not wrong, bamaranger.
Yes he is.

The 25 and 32 remington rounds were chambered in the Stevens 425 lever action. I am not sure about the 30 remington. Maybe too much competition with the 30-30 lever actions to be worth while.

You are wrong, bamaranger. :D

Edit to add: ratshooter... thank you for taking the time to look it up!

You are most welcome. I didn't know myself until I looked them up.:)

SHR970 I had no idea they were that rare. No wonder I can't find a picture of them.

there ya go

Well, at least I qualified my answer....."I could be wrong", and I was!

Here's to new information and a respectable way of correcting me on a great forum.

I didn't qualify my response and got dragged into the "wrong" pile kicking and screaming that bamaranger was right. Wrong. Thanks a lot, bamaranger. :D

The only originally smokeless powder cartridge that was available in the 1886 Winchester is the 33 WCF. The 1895 Marlin was also chambered for it back in the day. Apparently, it was a good caliber, but it had plenty of competition and is all but forgotten today. In the last decade-and-a-half of the 1800's, there was quite a number of black-powder cartridges that were well thought of, and would probably still be with us if smokeless powder hadn't have come along so soon to change the whole game. Like the 40-82 WCF in Winchester's model 1886; it was considered to be an excellent Elk and Grizzly cartridge with a bit flatter trajectory than the 45-70, making hits at a bit longer range somewhat easier. Today, its ballistics are pretty easily matched by a 44 magnum carbine. The last of the black-powder cartridges of that era, may well have been an improvement over the older 44-40 and 45-70, but they would be swept away with the advent of smokeless powder before they could gain widespread acceptance and longevity. Even Tom Horn was using a 30-30 before his career ended so abruptly.

Pathfinder I had to look up the specs on the 40/82 Winchester and you are correct. It is very close in power to the 44 mag round. But I would never have thought of the 44 mag as a Grizzly Bear/Elk round. But if thats what I had thats what I would use when a big bear got after me. And a farewell to thee.:D

I wondered if Tom Horn would come up. I new he used a 30-30 on Willy Nichols but in the movie with Steve McQueen they had him say he used a different round but its been so long ago I disremember what it was.

"Tony Z - .38 Special wadcutters will not feed in my Henry (steel), although round nose lead bullets do fine."

I would stay away from round nosed bullets (apart from round nosed flat point). Everything I've read and heard about suggests that even a round nose can set off the cartridge in front in a tube-fed lever action.

Stick to flat nosed or hollow point bullets

I enjoy a few lever guns my first being my Marlin 30-30 that was my first gun given to me buy my dad but the need grew from there and I got a 22LR Winchester 9422, Rossi 357 pre safety, Marlin Limited Cowboy 45C and a Marlin 336 44mag. I know it sounds weird but I would love a 45acp lever gun, it would give new meaning to the ole saying load on Sunday and shoot all week.:o:o

Back