Lever action 223?

I'm no expert, but I have long thought that the bigest advantage of the 5.56 NATO over 30 Cabine lies in extended range. But for home defense inside your home to across your yard or even the street, that's no advantage. And where over-penetration could be an issue, the 30 Carbine, especially with soft points, looks like a clear winner over 5.56 NATO.
But ruling out semi-auto guns, the near equivalent would be a lever-action 357/38 Special. Use the 223/5.56 in a bolt gun at longer ranges...Varmints, anyone?
I just think that typical battle rifles for home defense is not ideal; more like over-gunned.

military & the .223

Military levers, hmm........well the Russians bought a bunch of M1895 Winchesters chambered in 7.62x54r, during WWI, musket style stock, bayonet lug, stripper clip guide and all. I wouldn't think that rifle would have held up well in the trenches at all. I've actually handled one, sporterized here locally, but it was back before Mosin/x54r craze that swept the country and I did not buy it as I perceived ammo to be a problem. Who knew? I wonder how it got to N. Alabama, if in fact it ever got to Russia? If guns could talk.........?
Earlier levers saw combat, but their advantage was rate of fire over their muzzleloading contemporaries. I'm thinking the Spencer and the Henry. Seems I read some M94's were used as guard guns here in the US in WWII.
But the Mauser took over and the Russians eventually produced the Mosin (till they sold them back to us) and we came up with the Springfield ( and had to pay Germany some money on patent stuff) and the rest really is history.
I'm familiar with the Remington pumps using spiral magazines. Locally they were known as "candy cane" pumps formally the Models 14 and later 141. They were a family favorite and one chambered in .30 Rem was my first deer rifle. I really should kill a deer with it before I cannot run the iron sights at all. Kinda strayed from lever .223's, sorry.
Despite my "formidable" comment earlier, I do not see the .223 as an ideal battle cartridge and I believe the current search for a replacement is proof of that. That said, I think it is an ideal LE and urban cartridge when loaded with appropriate ammo. I'm surprised that LE has not embraced V-max ammo and or ultra light bullets like 40-45 grain. Perhaps they have on entry teams and I am just not aware. I can not imagine those frangible pills making it through a felon or drywall. Hornady claims they penetrate less in gel than a pistol round. The loads in favor seem to trend towards bonded bullets and increased penetration, like a .223 for deer.
Comparing .30 Carbine to .223 brings up some interesting results. In gel, it appears anybody's expanding carbine ammo penetrates more than any expanding service pistol round. A .30 Carbine FMJ is a serious penetrator, exiting a testers set of blocks after drilling through 27"!!! On hard mediums, .30 Carbine out penetrated both 5.56 FMJ and not surprisingly, .45 ACP ball.
I have always liked the M1 carbine, and have always wanted one. I would not feel undergunned with a carbine and expanding for SD in most instances.
But declaring the .30 Carbine superior to the .223 for urban and LE purposes is contrary to current testing. The .30 Carbine round out penetrates the .223 with all ammo types (INCLUDING 55 gr FM) with the possible exclusion of 5.56 green tip which is designed for enhanced penetration.

In an attempt to bring my post back to levers, there was a .30 Carbine lever action, the Marlin Levermatic......wish I had one of those too!

Great information though,
I have a Levermatic 22 and have had the 30 carbine version on my must have list for some time.

As a person that used to own an AR, I much prefer my bolt 223 CZ. It forces you to actually aim and hit your target, and if you reload it's fun to experiment with different bullet weights. I can pick off a golf ball at 300 yards if I do my part.

I own enough AR's to qualify as a fan, but....... Judging by the rate of fire of most AR shooters at the public range near me, and the amount of AR brass left on the ground (confirmed brass hog) aiming is indeed secondary to volume of fire! :)

Levermatics: the one I really want is in .256 Win magnum.
Henry Long Ranger: when it hit the market, just to run counter the black rifle craze, I thought I might buy one.....till I saw the price.....YIKES!

What would be nice is if Browning and Henry made a model of their rifles to use AR magazines.
Ask and ye shall receive. I was watching Shot Show videos this morning and Henry has a lever action that uses P Mags, with full floated barrel and threaded muzzle. Reporters trying it at the range loved it.

more

Cruising YouTube last night and yes, lo and behold, Henry has announced a version of the Long Ranger that takes AR mags. It is an unsightly thing, but there it is.

A better option to the lever gun is the remington 7615 pump chambered in .223. Troy industries also makes a pump that being an AR style rifle.

Given a choice between the Henry and the Browning, I’d go with Henry 10/10 times. I had a B92 in .44 from ±1982 they no longer make and needed a part. Browning’s response was “We don’t support discontinued rifles”.
Although I’ve never needed it, Henry’s support is supposed to be second to none and I think they have excellent quality and workmanship.

no support

Unfortunately, with vintage firearms "no support", is a common stumbling block. Same with accessories like optics. I've run into that with the Ruger Model 44 carbine, the old tube feed model. The Ruger 44 was produced up till 1985. I've got an Aimpoint 2000 with "no support" either, the 2000 model ran till 1989.
The mid to late 80's seem not that long ago to me, but apparently manufacturers have different calendars than I do. I read that parts are sold off to one outfit or another, and for a while "so & so" in Oshkosh has a supply, then it's anybody's guess.
Henry has parts, because their guns are all essentially of recent manufacture and still in production. Forty years from now, they may or may not have parts for say your "Homesteader", if they are in business at all.

Back