Leupold VX-1, Redfield Revolution, or Nikon Prostaff: Which 3x9?

Just remember you're still guessing with BDC reticles unless you know the exact velocity of your bullet.

How do you find that out? Unless you have a very expensive chronograph, it would be hard to know anywhere near your exact velocity. And then of course there's SD/ES to contend with. I would say some trial and error could get you on target pretty quick. There's been many folks without chronographs that have figured out how to use the BDC reticles effectively.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How do you find that out? Unless you have a very expensive chronograph,
first of all, a chronograph is not an expensive item to get. a decent RCBS chrono can be had for little over $100, less than what some people spend a month on ammo. also if you mainly shoot factory ammo, companies like federal have ballistics information for all their loads on their website, it wont be exact but it will give you a good ball park estimate.

first of all, a chronograph is not an expensive item to get. a decent RCBS chrono can be had for little over $100, less than what some people spend a month on ammo. also if you mainly shoot factory ammo, companies like federal have ballistics information for all their loads on their website, it wont be exact but it will give you a good ball park estimate.

I'm sorry. I didn't make it clear that I was being a little tongue-in-cheek because the poster said you need to know your "exact" velocity.

I have the Prostaff. I like it. It is crystal clear and well made. It was easy to set up and zero despite being a noob.

But here is my take.
If you had all three to compare and play with, you'd probably find you had a favourite.

If you buy one of them, without the luxury of a comparison, you'll no doubt be perfectly satisified with your choice, even if it would have been in 3rd place in that direct comparison!

I'd let the little details decide for you, such as the Spot-On program or the friction-locked turrets as mentioned, etc.

lol

Jigger, that is about right! I tell folks to test drive as many scopes as they can and then pick the one that fit's their requirements the best. I'll help them wade through what we have to make the choice easier, but it's best to leave the final decision up to the guy or gal who is going to use it!

By the way, F-250 all the way!

Which is better:
Ford f-150
Chevy Silverado
Dodge Ram??????????????????

Which scope correlates to which truck? I could then easily determine the best scope. We are talking half-ton trucks only, right? Shouldn't the Nikon be equated with the Tundra or Titan?

For those who are not aware, Leupold owns and makes Redfield in its plant in Beaverton, OR. Most of the components and engineering are bound to be the same. Redfield offers less options.

Which is better:
Ford f-150
Chevy Silverado
Dodge Ram??????????????????

well asuming that
Ford F-150=redfield revolution
Chevy Silverado= leupold VX1 and
Dodge Ram=Nikon Prostaff that's a pretty good comparison
F150 is best
Ram is second
chevy is last...
I would say those are a decent analogy.

How do you find that out? Unless you have a very expensive chronograph, it would be hard to know anywhere near your exact velocity. And then of course there's SD/ES to contend with. I would say some trial and error could get you on target pretty quick. There's been many folks without chronographs that have figured out how to use the BDC reticles effectively.

Yes you do need to know the velocity of your ammunition. Exact velocity in my experience is the average of a 5-10 shot string. SD is nice to know but not necessary if you arent loading your own ammunition. As long as your ES isn't huge you know you have pretty good quality factory ammunition.

Sure you can figure it out "pretty quick" just shooting at a known ranges but will you figure it out in 10 rounds or less? If you know your velocity you can go to Nikon's web site and know exactly what ranges the subtensions of the reticle are calibrated for, and know exactly how much wiggle room you might have. Personally I don't like BDC reticles I just prefer a standard plex reticle and to turn knobs.

Yes there not expensive at all for a chronograph. If you look around you can find great deals. I picked up a new Shooting Chrony Beta Master for $75 at a gun shop that was closing their doors.

As far as the ballistics info given on manufacturers web sites I don't really trust it. Take .223 OP's rifle, it is easy to find rifles in 16.5" to 26" barrels. Who knows if the velocity of the factory test barrel falls in line with your rifle?

taylorce1 said:
Exact velocity in my experience is the average of a 5-10 shot string.

I was just ribbing
you for how you phrase this. Obviously you can't know your exact velocity. All I was getting at is that if you have a rough idea of your average velocity you can shoot to find out how close you are. With some quick math you can get a rough idea of your velocity by shooting a couple groups at say 200 yards (zero) then 300 yards.

taylorce1 said:
Personally I don't like BDC reticles I just prefer a standard plex reticle and to turn knobs.

That's great that you have nice Scopes with target turrets but this thread is about 3 sub-$200 Scopes. Do you have a recommendation for the OP as to what scope you can buy for ~$200 that has target turrets and repeatable adjustments?

BDC reticles do work if you figure out how to use them. A chronograph is nice but not necessary to figuring them out.

BTW, I handload and I do use a Chrono but it's not something I would die without.

That's great that you have nice Scopes with target turrets but this thread is about 3 sub-$200 Scopes. Do you have a recommendation for the OP as to what scope you can buy for ~$200 that has target turrets and repeatable adjustments?

I only own two scopes with what I would consider target turrets a Bushnell Elite 4200 and Weaver GS Tactical. I bought the Bushnell 4-16X40 AO for $180 used and the Weaver 3.5-10X40 for $299. The rest and the scopes I hunt/shoot with the most are scopes with finger adjustable turrets. I don't know about the Pro-Staff scope I have never owned one, but the Redfield has finger adjustable turrets.

For less than $30 you can buy a Stoney Point target knob for the Leupold if it is the new VX-1 and not the VX-I. The new version of the VX-1 has the coin slot turret like the VX-II used to have. I have found the VX-II scopes to have very repeatable adjustments and if the VX-1 has been upgraded to that tech then the OP shouldn't have a problem with it not being repeatable like the friction adjustments were.

I've had four of the Redfield scopes and still own two, and have found the adjustments to be repeatable. I usually have to turn a few clicks past where I want to be and then back up to it to make sure the reticle moves properly. Real easy to do, simple and it works without using target turrets which are nice but not necessary to make adjustments to a scope in the field.

The Vortex Viper 2-7X32 while not the 3-9X40 has very repeatable adjustments and can be had for $199 from Cameral Land NY. Probably the closest thing to a target turret in the $200 price range. I have two of these scopes and have taken them out to 500 yards with a .300 Savage and believe it or not a .204 Ruger.

BTW, I handload and I do use a Chrono but it's not something I would die without.

I wouldn't die without mine either and I don't use it all the time as there are certain rifles I just will never take past 300 yards. However, if a person is ever going to be serious about long range shooting it is something that should be used. IMO opinion if you are going to try for anything beyond point blank yardage of your rifle a chronograph and ballistics program is a necessary tool to have and use.

Made My Choice and Got a Great Deal!

The short story: just picked up a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC, new in box, for $109 (or $99... depending on how you look at it).

The long story: I've been scouring for a good deal and have been wanting something with a little higher magnification than a 3-9. The Prostaff 4-12 was intriguing to me, and I know Nikon is running a BDC promo for $30 off any BDC scope starting Aug 3 (the local Dick's put the rebate forms out early, that's how I know). Anyway, figured I'd get in on that deal once it was out but yesterday I decided to call the Dick's in the town where I work just to see if they had anything different than my hometown Dick's. The guy rattled off a few scopes then mentioned he had a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC for $129.97. Of course, I asked him to repeat and verify some information on the scope as I couldn't believe it was that cheap. He indicated it was and that it was on clearance. I asked him to hold it for me to see, and went over during my lunch today. On the drive over I was still thinking it was probably a mistake or, at best, some old model from 2010 that somehow hadn't sold. Low and behold, when I got there it was in fact the recent Prostaff, Model #6729, made in the Philippines. I mentioned that the Nikon rebate is starting Friday and that I'd like to be able to get in on that as well, and in the meantime the guy behind the counter indicated that this scope is now ringing up for $219... apparently they have price changes for whatever reason and the scope was now coming off clearance. He indicated he could give it to me for $129 right now but if I walk away it's going back up to $219 as soon as I leave. Needless to say, I grabbed it along with the special note he wrote for the cashier to discount the price to $129 from the $219 that it was ringing at. I also had a $20 off $100 Dick's coupon, bringing my final total to $109. And, I had a 200 Dick's bonus points coupon that, with the $109 I spent on the scope, will qualify for a $10 Dick's certificate. So, in the end I guess you could say I got it for $99.

The scope was in the display case but it was new in box and is in perfect condition. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper as I have the scope I wanted for an amazing price.

Thanks everyone for the insight and advice!

The short story: just picked up a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC, new in box, for $109 (or $99... depending on how you look at it).

The long story: I've been scouring for a good deal and have been wanting something with a little higher magnification than a 3-9. The Prostaff 4-12 was intriguing to me, and I know Nikon is running a BDC promo for $30 off any BDC scope starting Aug 3 (the local Dick's put the rebate forms out early, that's how I know). Anyway, figured I'd get in on that deal once it was out but yesterday I decided to call the Dick's in the town where I work just to see if they had anything different than my hometown Dick's. The guy rattled off a few scopes then mentioned he had a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC for $129.97. Of course, I asked him to repeat and verify some information on the scope as I couldn't believe it was that cheap. He indicated it was and that it was on clearance. I asked him to hold it for me to see, and went over during my lunch today. On the drive over I was still thinking it was probably a mistake or, at best, some old model from 2010 that somehow hadn't sold. Low and behold, when I got there it was in fact the recent Prostaff, Model #6729, made in the Philippines. I mentioned that the Nikon rebate is starting Friday and that I'd like to be able to get in on that as well, and in the meantime the guy behind the counter indicated that this scope is now ringing up for $219... apparently they have price changes for whatever reason and the scope was now coming off clearance. He indicated he could give it to me for $129 right now but if I walk away it's going back up to $219 as soon as I leave. Needless to say, I grabbed it along with the special note he wrote for the cashier to discount the price to $129 from the $219 that it was ringing at. I also had a $20 off $100 Dick's coupon, bringing my final total to $109. And, I had a 200 Dick's bonus points coupon that, with the $109 I spent on the scope, will qualify for a $10 Dick's certificate. So, in the end I guess you could say I got it for $99.

The scope was in the display case but it was new in box and is in perfect condition. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper as I have the scope I wanted for an amazing price.

Thanks everyone for the insight and advice!

Good job man! What a deal. You got a great scope for a blister-pack price.

Just remember you're still guessing with BDC reticles unless you know the exact velocity of your bullet.

Not really, just go to the range and see where the bullets impact at different ranges with each reticle. There is darn little difference between any of the standard rounds trajectory anyway. Zero at 100 yards. Shoot at 200,300, 400 and just note where your bullet impacts in relation to the scope. I've found it to be pretty close with any of the common rounds such as 30-06, 308, or 270.

You may find that the dot for 200 yards is actually zeroed at 210 yards for a 30-06, 190 yards for a 308 or or 220 for a 270. Same issue at longer ranges. It is so close you are talking about roughly the same distance as the crosshairs cover at those ranges. Not good enough to win a target match, but close enough for big game hunting and much more accurate than relying on a 200 yard zero and counting on the bullet not being more than a few inches above or below the line of sight out to 300 yards.

While a chronograph is an inexpensive and very needed tool for reloading, an accurate rangefinder is the key tool to making a BDC reticle work.

And I'll add, the Leupolds made starting in 2012 are much better than previous models. The older lower end Leupolds had some shortcomings, but the new ones blow all the other budget priced scopes out of the water at the same price. They are click adjustable now. Don't make a decision based on old outdated information.

I don't have this scoPe mounted yet but did have a chance to look through it at dusk and am very imPressed with how bright and crisp It is!

Btw, saw Weaver brand two piece mints for $7 and Leupold for around $20. I have Leupolds on my Win 70 but what do you all think about the Weaver mounts and rings?

Btw, saw Weaver brand two piece mints for $7 and Leupold for around $20. I have Leupolds on my Win 70 but what do you all think about the Weaver mounts and rings?

Don't mess around with the aluminum bases and rings. Weaver makes good steel bases and rings but I have never seen them for $7.

Back