Leupold VX-1, Redfield Revolution, or Nikon Prostaff: Which 3x9?

Martowski

All are within $20 of each other (around $159). Nikon has bullet drop compensator, Redfield has accurange. Which is best on a .223 varmint bolt action and why?

Or putting it another way is there really a dramatic difference in quality and clarity (and usability) between the three? Leaning toward he Nikon as I like the controls but don't want to pass up an obvious winner If there is one.

The Leupold and Redfield are a notch above the Prostaff in quality. The Nikon Buckmaster would be a closer comparison.

I like both the Redfield and Leupold but the Leupold is a little better, and probably a little more expensive, especially if you want a BDC type reticle. The Leupold is already the more expensive scope and getting it with a long range reticle with dots is about $30 extra, I think. The Redfield with dots is I think only $10 more. But I do like the Leupold reticle much better than the Nikon or Redfield design.

You are probably looking at about $50 more for the VX-1, well worth it to me. Just depends on how tight your budget is. I don't think any of these are junk scopes by the way. Even the Prostaff is a decent scope. I just think the others are well worth the small price difference.

Thanks. The Leupold has the standard duplex at the place I'm looking, and it's available for $169. The Redfield is $149, and the Nikon is $179. But Nikon will be having a $30 rebate on all BDC scopes starting Aug 3. And, I get an extra $20 off any of the scopes off the prices noted above. So in the end the Leupold would be $149 and the Redfield and Nikons both $129.

The one thing I don't like about the Leupold VX1 is that the turrets aren't click adjustable, but friction locked. I've got a VX1 on a Rem700 in .308 and while it's a nice scope, it just doesn't compare to some of the newer offerings out there.

My son has a Redfield 4-12 on his rifle and really likes it. He bought it last year and hasn't had a chance to hunt with it, but it has finger adjustable turrets, a nice reticle, and is really a nice scope for the money.

I spent several hours today looking at scopes and came home with a Nikon Pro-staff 3X9X40 BDC. Mounted it on my rifle this afternoon. The reticle is a little bit busy, but I think I'm going to like it.

Of all three scopes, I'd be hard-pressed to say which has more clarity. Scopes today are better than they were 20 years ago and I'm fairly impressed with most of the low end scopes. I picked the Nikon pretty much as an impulse and I don't think you could go wrong with either of the three. Another in that same price range is the Burris Fullfield II, which I understand is a nice entry-level scope.

Thanks as well PawPaw.

In looking at prices, it seems that all three a pretty good deal when you factor in the promos. Looks like $179 is pretty much the average rate for the Nikon, and the Redfield usually goes for a little above $200 while the Leupold goes for more.

In looking at the three, I liked the larger, easier to grasp controls of the Nikon and the fact they were rubberized. Although the BDC is busy, I like the potential functionality. The Redfield was nice but I thought the finish seemed a little more scratchable and I'm still wondering what functionality the accu-range gives; it seems like it basically gives one dot below the actual crosshairs? The Leupold was okay; didn't seem to stand out to me either way. But it's hard to tell when you're looking across a store vs. being outside.

I'd go with the VX-1. But at that price, you're probably looking at the VX-I and not the VX-1. If it's the VX-I, I'd wait for the rebate and go with the Nikon. Just make sure the Nikon is the new model with fully-multicoated lenses.

I just picked up a Redfield 4-12 and was very impressed with the clarity.

My take is that while it has less bells and whistles and finish as the Leopold, the glass is the same.

Not going to hunt with it but it looks to be a great target scope which is not its market, but am seriously impressed that its that capable.

Prostaff for sure, Im a big Nikon fan but it has come over years of trying Leupolds. About 10 years ago when I started getting more into rifles 150 bucks was alot to me for optics. So I laid out a VX1 Prostaff and Bushnell 3200. All were close in price, By far the Nikon had the best clarity and light transmission. The Leupold I think may be built better but my Prostaff has missed a beat and has a good warrenty. It really fits the 250 dollar price range scope. I have 5 of them now and 1 Buckmasters and Monarch and really I dont think the Buckmasters is any better

I have owned all three.
i have a redfield revolution on a springfield 1903A4 sniper and it is by far the best scope I own. great sight picture, decent eye relief and holds a good zero.

I have 3 nikon prostaffs. they are rugged, hold zero like no other and have a decent sight picture but the eye relief is a little lacking compared to others. it the sub $200 market however they are though to beat and until I bought my revolution was the number one scope I recommended.

I bought a leupold VX1 and that thing was a piece of dookie. regardless of the rifle it was mounted on it could not fire groups small enough to allow you to sight it in. I eventually gave it to my brother and he was able to sight it in on a 357 bolt action of his...but it took him over 100 rounds to do so. I will never buy another leupold again, I'll just stick to the "budget leupolds" and get redfields from now on.

Great input everyone, thanks and pls. keep it coming.

Here's another thought: what about the Weaver 44/40? Reason I ask this is because while I was looking at 3-9x40 scopes, I'd really like a 4-12 variable power. The Weaver 44/40 comes in this magnification at around the same price as the others come in 3-9. Is the Weaver in the same class?

I don't know anything about the weaver but I have a nikon prostaff in 4x12 mounted on a 300 weatherby magnum. I'll tell you that if it can withstand that kind of recoil then there is nothing that they can't handle. I think you may be limited on reticle choices though. mine is a mildot(pointless because I never look up mildot ranges anyway) but I believe it's been discontinued.

Leupold and Nikon have great reputations and from my experience with them, they're both great scope brands... BUT, I'm a Redfield fan through and through, I have a redfield scope on every one of my hunting rifles and they've never done me wrong. Comparison between scope brands is just paying attention to detail.

Nikon BDC and using Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program

If you choose Nikon make sure you dial in your BDC scope with Nikon Spot On Program to further enhance the accuracy of your BDC reticles. I can see how some folks might call them busy when you are just used to seeing a crosshair only. Nikon's BDC scope's allow you to sync all your shooting data and get the most accuracy out of your scope. How well does it work ? I've watched guys brand new to our BDC scopes blow up 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 600 yards. These guys were all believers when we were finished.

As always, drop me a note with any question's and that is correct, big Promo on the horizon......

As always, drop me a note with any question's and that is correct, big Promo on the horizon......

Thanks, Bart. Now that I've bought one, you're going to run a sale! Ain't that the luck.

I was impressed with the SpotOn program, as it allowed me to enter my handload data to get a better ballistic printout. I'll verify it in the field, of course, but it's nice to have a starting point and I consider that printout a starting point.

sorry....

That is what usually happens to me!

Sorry about that, shouldn't have told ya then you would't feel bad!
Bart

scopes

i would go with nikon because the bdc&program on line work very well together. like leupold have had one for many years works like a dream

Back