Leupold Scopes Quality

Based on which brand is winning in 1k Competition. I also base it on experience with Leupold VS. Nightforce when dealing with b.r. scopes that are shooting good but not great. Nightforce is willing to do what it takes to make the scope perfect. In my experiences Leupold seems to settle for almost perfect.

Leupold as far as I'm concerned, is about the best value vs quality scope you can get. People will say Nightforce or what ever else but most of those are more than $1k. I'm not spending that much money on a scope unless it's for a .50BMG. Not going to happen for me. The VX-1's and up are very good scopes. I personally have a VX-2, VX-3, and FX. Never have had a single complaint about any of them. Also, take a look at Vortex. I have a rifle that has a Crossfire 2 on it that I broke (my fault) and they exchanged it with no questions asked. I will buy a Vortex as well just depends on which deal is better.

I'm more than satisfied with every Leupold product that I own. And several are older than I. ;)

When I want something that will work, I might buy a 'mid-range' scope.
When I want it to be dead-nuts reliable and last forever, I buy a Leupold.

Re-branding a Chinese made scope is not the same as building a top product with a no question, all eternity warranty. I would be cautious on Redfield.
Leupold OWNS Redfield.
We're not talking about re-branding scopes. No one said anything of the sort.

It's a simple statement: Leupold OWNS Redfield.

As for the product lines under the Redfield name...
The Revolution scopes are made in Oregon.
The Renegade, Revenge, and Battlezone scopes are made in the Philippines. (Just like Nikon, Barska, Bushnell, Vortex, Weaver, and many more brands that people rarely complain about being imported... :rolleyes:)

From what I have read, the Redfield imports are being made by a Japanese optics company that owns a lot of manufacturing and assembly sites in Japan, China, and the Philippines. They manufacture scopes for pretty much EVERYONE that doesn't make their scopes in-house.
Depending upon the 'quality level' of the scope, it could have Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, or German glass. They use whatever fits the price point. -- For example, their "Nikko Stirling" and "Tasco" scopes get Chinese glass, but the "Bushnell 3200 Elite" and "Bushnell 4200 Elite" scopes got Japanese or German glass. (For the Bushnells, that's: German design for an American company, cosmetically modified by another American company, 'built' by a Japanese company, glass ground by Japanese or German contractors, and assembled by Filipino labor using primarily Chinese or Japanese parts; before being transported trans-Pacific by the lowest bidder, for a company head-quartered in the Mid-west. Given that supply chain... It's no wonder that most modern scope warranties suck.)

---

When the Revenge line was first introduced (it was the first import scope for Redfield after Leupold involvement), the warranties did differ between the Revenge and Revolution lines. I have not checked recently, however, so I don't know if the current warranty is still sub-par on the imports.

Last edited:
Last year I put alot of brands in the $1500-$3000 price range to the test in my eyes. I really took my time and am pretty critical of optics and do own a few higher end European glass. The VX6 3-18 Firedot was what I purchased. My next choice was Swarovski. Nightforce seemed over priced for what it was and would go with a Schmidt and Bender at that price point for hunting application. I do appreciate that Nightforce is made in the USA.
Leupold performance to dollar value in the higher end optics seems to be the stand out. Leupold has really upped their game. I came away really impressed with Leupold where years ago I always defaulted to Zeiss or Swarovski.

Last edited:
I would worry about it too much if the scope alone was 3,000 dollars.
For my needs I am sure the Leupold VX3 will be more than good enough.
I more need a gun thats good from 5 yards to 150 yards....and 150 is guessing on the high side.
My last 5 moose were all taken between 20 and 80 yards.
My Bison was what I consider a long shot, and after it was down we paced it out at roughly 110 to 115 yards.
I am not a guy looking for a scope to do the long shots like some are.
I have never shot any game , or even considered shooting at any over 150 yards....never mind the ones I read about doing 500 yard shots. Also would not be using a 45-70 if long shots were my priority. I like my heavy albeit slow bullets.
Almost always use 325gr Hornady.

Back