Leupold Scopes Quality

Kamloops

Inactive
So I have ordered a new Henry .45-70 lever rifle, and want to add a scope to it when it arrives, and will keep my current one with just sights.
I don't do super long range shooting, and don't like how a high power scope has so little field of view.
It will be used for everything from bear defense to moose hunting.

So before I spend a bunch of money and later regret it....is this 1.75 to 6 power Leupold a good scope?

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-75-6x32mm/

Absolutely. From the VX-1 on up, Leupold's are all good. When you get to the 3s and up, you're in "fine" to "outstanding" scope territory.

I commented on this before but I'LL sayit again.

I recently acquired a Leupold M8 4X28 for a good price and as it had the CPC reticle decided to send it in to Leupold for a reticle change for $68. I hunt mostly woods so asked for a German #4.

About a week later I was at a Friday night football game when a call comes in from Leupold. The lady on the phone said the scope "had water in it" (I was having a hard time hearing her over the fan noise) but assume she mean't it was no longer water proof and they couldn't fix it.

Anyway, she said they were going to replace it with a brand new FXII 4X33 and include the new reticle....The scope, even though a gold ring model, was made sometime prior to 1974 per serial # and I was not the original owner.

If that isn't standing behind one's product, I don't know what is!

Absolutely! You can't go wrong with a Leupold in the VX1 and up. I also like the Redfield Revolution series. Also made by Leupold

When it comes to durability and toughness Leupold is the about as good as it gets. If I wanted a scope that absolutely, positively had to work (especially on a hard kicking rifle) Leupold would be my top pick.

Because of their warranty and great customer service they are one brand I'd have no worries about purchasing used either.

Absolutely! You can't go wrong with a Leupold in the VX1 and up. I also like the Redfield Revolution series. Also made by Leupold

I dont know from first hand, but; you might want to check the country of origin and warranty on the redfield. I heard some things. For, the real deal, Leupold I agree 100% and pretty much if I cannot afford a Leupold, I find a used one or wait. I rather have less items of better quality than a safe full of mediocre.

I have done extremely well with used Leupold, even though the used models do command a lot higher price than used brand x scopes. Some of the most practical hunting Leupold like 2-7x are very reasonable price, new or used. The vx-1 1-4x shotgun scope is very good on a budget. The fixed 4x is very good and preferable to brand x variable IMHO. Brand x includes redfield until proven otherwise.

Red field is indeed owned by Leupold. For variable 1x-4x or I think I've seen 1-6x look at "tactical" or "3 gun" marketed scopes. They all are designed to be able to make hits on target quickly from pretty darn close out to about 300 yards typically. The feature set on those because they are used in competitions against the clock would also be applicable to hunting. Not that you are on the clock but you need to be able to get on target quickly and make an effective hit.

Thanks for the replies.
I have had scopes on 2 other rifles, but never a Leupold brand.
Heard they were good, and wanted to be sure....sounds like a resounding yes, so I will get it.

The VX3 and VX6 use their top of the line optics/glass. The VX6 is all 30mm tubes. The VX3 uses a 1' tube and also some 30mm tubes.

Redfield is indeed owned by Leupold.[/guote]

Re-branding a Chinese made scope is not the same as building a top product with a no question, all eternity warranty. I would be cautious on Redfield.

I have very good success with Japanese Bushnell and recent Nikon (regardless of where they were made). But! I also had a problem with Bushnell quality when the moved the same exact scope, at same price, to China. I had a problem with the limited adjustment range on a Nikon. I solved both issues with a Leupold. I got pretty turned off after these experiences and now, while I still peruse the used scope piles for old gems from Japan, I pretty much try and stick with Leupold. one less hassle. And by hassle, I include reading all the specs and reviews deciding what to buy and from whom. Also, hassle later when things go wrong or don't live up to expectations.

10 years ago I bashed Leupold all day long---when you could get a Zeiss Conquest for $399 it was a no-brainer what to get.

In the last few years, Leupold has really stepped up their game(competition is a good thing--otherwise they would just keep offering the same ol same ol) offering excellent scopes at very good prices---Leupold is the scope I look at first these days.

Great value--CS and warranty

You certainly wouldn't need anything higher than a good 6-power in that gun & caliber.
150-200 yards is easily handled by a 6.
Denis

Just came in from bear hunting. I was out well past sunset. It was almost dark and considered getting out my headlamp to walk out of the woods. When I look through my VX3 3.5-10 40mm on my rifle it was almost like it was sunset again. I could easily see to make a shot. That 40mm Leupold gathered more light than my 50mm Swarovski. Leupolds Twilight optics are stunningly amazing. I noticed the same brightness last year with a VX6 on a different rifle. I can say without a doubt that my Leupold VX3-VX6 gather more light than my Zeiss or Swarovski. This is why this year I purchased 2 more VX3 to go on my other rifles and sold off my other brands of scopes.

Leupolds Twilight optics are stunningly amazing. I noticed the same brightness last year with a VX6 on a different rifle. I can say without a doubt that my Leupold VX3-VX6 gather more light than my Zeiss or Swarovski.

Optics don't "gather light." They transmit light.

What you need to look at is the diameter of the front objective (lens), tube diameter, percentage of light transmission, and exit pupil - those are the only things that matter.

There are additional factors that can have some effect such as apochromatic lenses, lens coatings, low dispersion glass (ED, HD, etc.) that can effect contrast that, in turn, makes the image appear clearer and brighter.

But, in general, the scope with the larger front objective, larger tube, larger exit pupil, and greater percentage of transmission will be the brighter scope.

Leupold is durable, but their optical quality has fallen behind the Austrian and German glass. Their highest end scopes do not compete with Minox, March, S&B, Kahles, Swavarski, or Leica.
AS far as US scopes go, they have fallen behind Night Force.

For the purchase price, Leupold is the best deal going, if you ask me, between quality and expense.

You want to improve on a Leupold, be ready to double your cost for not much better. You want really, really, good, triple and five times the price.

. AS far as US scopes go, they have fallen behind Night Force.

What is this based on? Do you have any independent laboratory numbers to support this? Or is it all speculation?

In my opinion (speculation here) I find my Mark 6 to be equal to, if not even better than my Nightforce. But that is just my opinion man, from a person who has 20/10 vision.

Back