leupold returned for warranty repair

I doubt my neighbor, or 90% of the guys I've been around in hunt clubs have any idea what their bullet is doing much past 250yds. Jack O'conner wrote that the average stiff has no business shooting at big game over 300 yd under field conditions. Remember that was O'Conner, not me. That was a long time ago and I suppose technology and the interest in long range in recent years has changed that limit a bit. The neighbors coyote shooting mostly involves seeing one from the pickup (in his pastures and hay field,) slamming on the brakes and taking a shot from the truck at a runner.
I agree with this--the average hunter rarely gets past putting a few holes in a paper plate in their preparation for hunting season. I'm not trying to sound like I'm condescending or anything, but that is what I've observed. The biggest issue I see is that they often believe that a tight group at 50 yds means they are good to go at longer distances without taking into account the many factors that come into the equation of making the long distance hit--not the least of which is how often they practice at those longer distances and are absolutely confident they can master all the variables with their gear and ammo.

Hunting inside point blank range (poi less than 3" away from poa) requires simple optics. It has closed turrets and featureless reticle. Duplex reticle is already one step ahead.

Point blank range for most center fired rifles with proper zeroing is 200-300yd. Taking shot beyond that could be questionable.

Having said that I found the current trend of long range hunting disturbing. I don't hunt but I know people who do. Based on what they told me, the long range people purposely fire shots beyond certain distance even they could get much closer.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back