Let's talk about the percieved cost of .32 revolver ammo

I really enjoy 32 H&R Magnum,,, have several revolvers for it...easy to shoot, low recoil, faster back on target.
Same with 32 S&W,,, have several revolvers for that too.

Have a local dealer that stocks both for me at a great price.......I can shoot all afternoon, for way less that an evenings dinner at a local steak house.....though I do go to the steak house when I want too.

My shooting has never been about. “How cheap can I do this?”

I really enjoy 32 H&R Magnum,,, have several revolvers for it...easy to shoot, low recoil, faster back on target.
Same with 32 S&W,,, have several revolvers for that too.

Have a local dealer that stocks both for me at a great price.......I can shoot all afternoon, for way less that an evenings dinner at a local steak house.....though I do go to the steak house when I want too.

My shooting has never been about. “How cheap can I do this?”
That's usually the first thing in most people's minds.

"Man, this .38 has too much recoil for my wife/girlfriend/daughter/mother/etc. so I guess they'll have to make do with .22."

"You ever think about .32?"

"WHAT? THAT'S A BUCK A ROUND! I MAY LOOK LIKE A MILLION BUCKS, BUT I AIN'T MADE OF MONEY!"

Has anyone shot .38 S&W out of a .38 Spl?

If things are in spec, it shouldn't fit. If it does fit, it will fire safely, but don't count on the fatter .38S&W case fitting the narrower .38 Spl chamber. The larger diameter .38S&W bullet is not a concern, its lead, and at low pressure, it will squeeze down the barrel without you even noticing, if you can actually fire it in a .38SPL gun.

So here's the list:
Lee die set ($35, $51 if include factory crimp die)
Lyman M die ($20)
Lee hand press ($40) or Lee C frame press ($41)
Lee Ram Prime ($12)
Lee manual powder throw ($26)
Digital powder scale ($20-25)
Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner ($60 with 25% off coupon)

I'm not doubting your prices, but I think your list is both excessive and not fully inclusive if you're talking about bare bones start up reloading. Clearly you are a fan of Lee tools (is it JUST the price??)

A Lyman die set costs more than LEE but you don't need any separate crimper or expander die, they're built in the standard 3 die set.

Likewise presses generally come with a priming system, so a separate hand priming system is not a needed expense. You may decide you want one, but its not needed if the press has a priming system.

You don't need a powder measure, though life is much better with one. You DO NEED a scale.

A cleaner? that's way down on the list of desirables, not on the list of needs.

Other misc. tools and things will also be very useful, like LOADING MANUAL, loading block calipers, etc.

For those of us already loading other calibers, the cost is much less, for me it would be only the cost of a die set and shellholder, plus components, as I already have all the other tools on your list and others, besides.

I'm not doubting your prices, but I think your list is both excessive and not fully inclusive if you're talking about bare bones start up reloading. Clearly you are a fan of Lee tools (is it JUST the price??)

A Lyman die set costs more than LEE but you don't need any separate crimper or expander die, they're built in the standard 3 die set.

Likewise presses generally come with a priming system, so a separate hand priming system is not a needed expense. You may decide you want one, but its not needed if the press has a priming system.

You don't need a powder measure, though life is much better with one. You DO NEED a scale.

Other misc. tools and things will also be very useful, like LOADING MANUAL, loading block calipers, etc.

For those of us already loading other calibers, the cost is much less, for me it would be only the cost of a die set and shellholder, plus components, as I already have all the other tools on your list and others, besides.
I was focusing on the lowest price loading components for those who don't already do any reloading. Lee is almost always the lowest price stuff, the only reason I included the Lyman M die is because I find the .32 needs that die to ensure the bullets get seated square.

The Lee hand press can come with the Ram prime, but the C press comes with no priming system.

Lee's die sets come with load data.

If things are in spec, it shouldn't fit. If it does fit, it will fire safely, but don't count on the fatter .38S&W case fitting the narrower .38 Spl chamber. The larger diameter .38S&W bullet is not a concern, its lead, and at low pressure, it will squeeze down the barrel without you even noticing, if you can actually fire it in a .38SPL gun.

The Lee set includes an expander insert for the powder through die. The seater die can also crimp, so use of any separate crimp die is optional. Other three-die sets include a dedicated expander, which can't be used on a Lee powder measure setup unless there somehow is an extra station available for it.

I have loaded 32 SWL on a Lee turret. My dies are RCBS. The expander is using the plug from the 327 Federal Magnum set. The sizer is borrowed from the 327 Federal Magnum turret, a Cowboy set.

Last edited:
You know, I don't even count the cost of the reloading equipment. it is just like buying a revolver in my mind... In the sense, you don't think about the 'up front' cost to shoot 'x' cartridge do you? If you have the cash, you just buy the gun... As with the gun, a reloading kit is a one time purchase (so don't cheap out). Reloading tools simply allows you to load 'more' which means you can shoot more and frees you from factory availability problems. Tailoring your loads to 'your' needs is a 'big' plus. After you have the equipment, adding another cartridge just means a new set of dies and a shell holder. Win win. My experience was my dad and I bought Hornady press back in '82 or so and I've been using it ever since. This year I did get an Hornady Iron Press just because I wanted the quick change capability. The old press was still working fine!

Back