Let's see your bug out bags!

BOB Kit

I have to allow for at least a wife in addition to myself. Maybe it.s just the females on my family but one thing I never see on anyones list is a belt. Seems like the wife and daughters never use them and they provide a very efficient method of carrying many things including a holster (a MKII or III would be a great addition). Womens sanitary's have to be taken also if only for the psychological lift. For a bad wound they become a good compress.

Spouse and I are rangers

in summer and active outdoors almost every WE + a day or 2 each week SO our backpacks with gear are ready to go and the big food box has a couple of weeks of packaged food ready to GO in 1-2 minutes.

Should easily be able to handle 3-4 weeks in a stationary camp and 2-3 on the move -- more with game.

+44 mag, 38 snub, skinning knife, folding handsaw, tiny hatchet and long distance radio ( C Crane radio)about the size of a pack of ciggies. Gotta go -- just packed to leave now for 4 days -- see couple dozen elk and lots of cougar tracks where we're going.
:D

An easy to find and store energy snack for now and later is Peanut M and M's. Lots of others too.

The wisest advice I ever heard regarding BOBs ( I think they used the term "disaster kit" or something else less ominous) was to carry them in your vehicle. Most of us work, I imagine, and even if we don't, I still think all of us go shopping from time to time, go out to a movie, etc.. You get the idea. The important thing is this thought: We are rarely more than several hundred yards away from our vehicle. If you really do have to get out of Dodge in a hurry, there might not be time to do all this "empty the gun safes and load the semi-tractor-trailer" thang. If you do have time, that's great, and let's face it, the odds are probably around 50/50 that you will be home and can do some extra packing. But just in case, you should keep a modest amount of kit in your vehicle.

To that end, I have a modular concept in place. I have an "A" bag that stays in the vehicle, a "B"-bag with some extra comfort/sustainment stuff, and a third tier of readily packed food and water if time permits. My pick-up, which is my primary evacuation vehicle, also stays loaded with some other supplies 365 days of the year.

The contents of my "A" bag, which is kept in my pickup, based on a small, canvas, military surplus pack:
  1. Takedown fishing pole, with spinning reel, with small quantity of lures/leaders/hooks, etc.
  2. Water purifier
  3. European-style mess kit (has upright container for holding water, not flat like our GI style).
  4. GI OD Sleepshirt
  5. GI leather gloves
  6. knit watch cap
  7. MRE
  8. 2 cans vienna sausage
  9. 2 liters water in Israeli army canteens
  10. First aid kit
  11. small multipurpose pocketknife
  12. .5 liter gatorade
  13. 4 powerbars
  14. GI VS-17 signal panel
  15. signal mirror
  16. lighter
  17. GI OD triangular bandage
  18. Ranger Handbook in waterproof cover
Here's a list of my "B" bag:
  1. 3 MREs
  2. Sleeping bag
  3. poncho liner
  4. Complete chemical protective overgament, with rubber boots and gloves
  5. heavywieght polypropylene underwear
  6. Black ski gloves

This might seem light, but it is envisioned that the contents of the "A" bag would be transferred into the "B" bag, which is kept at home. This would include a supply of ammunition or other consumables decided upon by the nature of the emergency.

Complimenting this stuff is some GI web gear (LCE, butt pack, etc.) which I keep in the truck next to the "A" bag. It has two one-quart canteens, SOG Paratool, large survival knife, two GI field dressings, poncho liner, poncho, "British scarf", and an MRE.

Also in the truck is an SKS and 200 rounds of ammo in a chest bandolier pouch. There are also two extra two-quart canteens, OD jumpsuit, AC power converter, solar panel, bolt cutters, general mechanics tools, chem-lights, survival rations, and some other things I am probably forgetting. I also keep four five gallon cans of water and four 2.5 gallon cans of gas locked up in the bed.

There's a gas mask at home, at work, in the truck, and in the car.

Since I bought a Z a year ago, I have used that as my daily ride (10 vs. 20 MPG, you do the math). Consequently, I have been rebuilding another "A" bag to go in the Z. This will, however, take on a more urban flair, as I hope to use the Z to get home first, then mount up again if necessary. In the alternative, I could run/walk/fight home from downtown in less than 3 hours if the roads were impassable. Regardless, I won't have half as much "goodies" in my Z as I have in my truck, and I do feel naked sometimes ;) .

I know have a fiancee, and two dogs and a cat; I need to integrate the bug -out strategy with them in mind, and probably make little doggie BOBs! :D

So here's my advice to anyone in a nutshell:

Carry it in your vehicle and,
Concentrate on the basic hardware and most immediate supplies, and leave your pantry at home.

You'll either have time to take it with you, or you won't.

hey guys where might i find a clean suit?

BTW my Car BOB is pretty good i think..

it containes everything needed to survive for 4 days..

i dont tend to carry weapons in my bobs mainly becuse i havent accured one as of yet..

Jess

Back