LEOS constantly touching weapons, Is it Legal, is it policy or is it training?

uniformed LE officers, stances, comfort...

I agree with a few other forum members here, it's not a major threat or issue to me in most cases.
What many private citizens need to understand about uniformed LE, uniformed armed security, military details(guard duty, MPs, security forces, MAAs, etc) is that a normal gun/duty belt weighs a lot. :(
The loaded firearm, radio/commo, gear, tools, etc can be a bit constraining & uncomfortable after a bit. Some cops or guards may "look" like they going to grab a item on the belt or gear but in most cases, they are resting that way.
Now holding the grip of a sidearm does sound dicey but you have to consider the environment or conditions too.
Is the security or uniformed LE officer doing a field interview? Are they searching for a subject? Do they scan for threats?
I see a lot of police officers & troopers who lean their empty hands along the top of the duty gear. It seems defensive or confrontational in some ways to me but I can understand why they do it.

Clyde

Cops constantly check to make sure the firearm is locked in properly.Getting in and out of patrol cars,they are always hitting the holster on the car etc.They also grab the gun,or belt to shift it into place.All that gear is not comfortable.

I do this same thing when I "check" on my CCW getting in and out of my car. Belts and the holster can shift a little.

Yeah, there's a difference between "hand casually on it" versus "I'm about to kill you if you don't obey my illegal order".

The two cops threatening the lady with the camera are an example of the latter.

It’s a natural action to avoid just having one’s hands hanging in the air.

Campers standing around a campfire will have their hands on their hips, or thumbs hooked on their belt, or in some way using their hands other than “just out there”.

Opera singers will swing their arms about or gesture in order to avoid “just out there”.

C&W singers will hold a guitar or a remote mike in order to avoid “just out there”.

Many years ago a young singer making his first appearance on the Grand Old Opry was nervous because the Musicians Union forbade him to take his guitar onstage and he didn’t know what to do with his hands. Chet Atkins handed him his guitar and told him go to it and he would handle the union.

Sometimes our hands can be unhandy.

So, in addition to checking his gun to see it’s secure an LEO just needs some way to avoid “just out there”.

However, if you see a cop resting his foot on his gun there might be a slight problem there.

cops that act like that will get whats coming to them, they just haven't done it to the wrong person yet!

There used to be an art to twirling a nightstick but I guess that went out with swivel holsters, revolvers and white shirts

I use to be pretty good twirling a nightstick. I used a revolver but no swivel holster or white shirt.

I use to be pretty good twirling my revolver too, learned it from a friend that was good at rope and revolver tricks.

I gave up the revolver twirling after doing a Building Search with another cop.

After we were done, he told my, "if you ever twirl that thing while we are on a building search again, I'll stick it up your ass". I didn't even realize I was twirling it, guess its not a good habit while doing building searches.

Anyway, regarding the original topic...........Who Cares, a guy has to put his hand some where. I suppose I did it, unconsciously. I'm retired now but I often put my hand in my pocket gripping my 642.

I think Shakespeare said it best......."Much to do about nothing"

I've been practicing with the nightstick, and a pr24, which is very similar to a tonfa. Although I don't carry either or, I do keep them in car for crowds, right next to the OC. I need to get a swivel for my straight stick, lol.

kraig, your post cracked me up! Twirling while searching, lol, that is confidence. I think my response would be that of your partners though, no matter how good you was, lol.

When I went through the Academy and later as a training officer it was my understanding that resting your hand on your weapon was inappropriate unless you were preparing to draw it.

I believe that was IAW with the National Law Enforcement Standards.

I had the misfortune to encounter a New Mexico State Policeman who, after a number of screw ups on his part, assumed the stance. I believe to this day that it was his intent to kill me. Fortunately, my wife and co-driver switched on the lights in the Cab of our Freightliner.

I also informed the Officer that a Qualcom message had been sent detailing the incident. He calmed down and gave me a $10.00 POP ticket and we went on our way.

It was fortunate that he did not attempt to draw his weapon as I would have removed it from him. He, like so many long service LEOs forget basic survival skills.

When I went through the Academy and later as a training officer it was my understanding that resting your hand on your weapon was inappropriate unless you were preparing to draw it.

I believe that was IAW with the National Law Enforcement Standards.

I had the misfortune to encounter a New Mexico State Policeman who, after a number of screw ups on his part, assumed the stance. I believe to this day that it was his intent to kill me. Fortunately, my wife and co-driver switched on the lights in the Cab of our Freightliner.

I also informed the Officer that a Qualcom message had been sent detailing the incident. He calmed down and gave me a $10.00 POP ticket and we went on our way.

It was fortunate that he did not attempt to draw his weapon as I would have removed it from him. He, like so many long service LEOs forget basic survival skills.

A letter to the New Mexico Police went unanswered.

Yeah, elbow/forearm is different. That's a "threat" to keep the gun jammed into the holster, which is hardly a threat :). Works even better with a high/forward crossdraw and the off-hand forearm...I do that a lot.

I can only go by what the actual on duty real cop told the class during a civilian handgun course. He said he regularly feels his pistol to be sure the magazine is in place and latched up. That no matter how good the holster it is never impossible for the button to get inadvertently depressed.

Also what Bill Jordan the real deal border patrolman wrote about leaning on the gun butt. It is like picking yourself up by the bootstraps. You are just moving the load around, not reducing it.

Maybe I've been lucky I don't know, but I've never had any problems with any LEO's that come to mind.
All have been very polite, and courteous, even when they realize that I have a gun!
I do not feel that there is anything inappropriate with resting their hands on the grip, belt, cuffs, flashlight etc. After all, that looks more professional than stuffed hand's in the pocket IMO.

Police officers have a VERY difficult job and "I believe" deserve respect, and I always treat them with such.

Like ANY profession there are exceptions to EVERY rule.

I have noticed that most people of questionable character tend to berate police officers very quickly though, no matter what the circumstance:(

I have never had a problem with law enforcement. I am simply reporting my observation that officers very often seem to be touching the grip of the pistol while it is holstered.

I am not a LEO and beyond the obvious its a arms rest wanted to see it there was some reason I am not aware of to do so....

Yes, police officers deserve respect - as does every walking, talking, breathing person we might happen across. I take slight issue with the notion that they deserve an elevated level of respect over and above that accorded to any other citizen. And I CERTAINLY take issue with any police officer who believes that the folks he encounters in the course of his duties are entitled to any less respect than he demands for himself.

I kinda use mine as an arm rest when stationary and talking to people. Sometimes resting my forearm on it, others grasping the primary retention. I don't do it in a threatening manner, it's mainly due to a lack of handy pockets. :D

The loaded firearm, radio/commo, gear, tools, etc can be a bit constraining & uncomfortable after a bit. Some cops or guards may "look" like they going to grab a item on the belt or gear but in most cases, they are resting that way.

Yup........pretty much.

Last time I weighed my belt it was ounces short of 12 lbs.

Back