LEO frequency of discharge

The 500 came from here:
“We are nowhere close to having complete dog killing records for all 18,000 police departments,” Wieder told the Daily Dot. Puppycide DB looked at the dog-killing records of just 40 police departments. The data showed a mean killing rate of 10 dogs per department. Based on just that tiny sample, Wieder said, that rate would add up to 500 dogs a day nationwide.

So there are 18,000 departments and Wieder looked at 40. What 40 departments did Wieder look at to extrapolate to the other 17,960 departments? This is going to be a HUGE extrapolation. I would be willing to bet that Wieder didn't actually do a random sampling, but cherry-picked his departments. Keep in mind that the Puppy Database Project is NOT an unbiased source of information.

With that in mind, I looked at the updated database from 5 months ago. He has less than 1800 records of police shootings of dogs (including animal control officers) going back to 2000.

https://github.com/puppycidedatabas...65ae896136d26fa079900ea7b8/PDB_2016-01-17.csv

On this page, the read.me says....
https://github.com/puppycidedatabaseproject/pdb-database/blob/master/README.md
pdb-database

Copies of Puppycide Database Project research in various formats, as well as a KML map file highlighting 1260 incidents of police violence toward animals across the United States.

Data containing PII related to victim families has been redacted. Not all records have been santized for human error.

In short, he doesn't even have the data to support 25 dogs per day being killed.

I've shot one dog that was hit by a car to end it's suffering. I've also had to deploy a taser on a dog. I have served quite a few search warrants, and presence of dogs is an important (and often overlooked) aspect of what may be faced. That being said, I can't think of but one time in 9 years that my department has killed a dog (other than to end suffering). I've been bit, but found that a baton to be very effective and much more practical at dealing with a quickly moving dog than a firearm... especially when I know there are other civilians around and I'm worried about firing into a safe direction/backstop. I reject the 500 dogs killed a day argument. Based off of my anecdotal experience, yes, but I do cooperative work with many other agencies and have not witnessed, heard of, or seen reference to ANY abnormal numbers of dog shootings. There are two that I know of that come to mind. Both involved the dog attacking a human, and in one case a child was maimed and killed by the dog.

This puppycide movement is WAY off base, and IMO are basically trying to concoct more police brutality statistics for political purposes.

In the sixteen years that I've been an officer (2000-present) I've pepper sprayed many a dog and I was bitten by a Corgi in 2014. But I've haven't shot any yet.

Back