Legal question about handgun accessories and configuration

saskuach

Hi,

So my question is: Would I be legally OK if I put a forward pistol grip and shoulder stock on a handgun? What about a trigger crank? I can't think of any dumb law being violated here (for example, 1. I'm not shortening a rifle and 2. the trigger is still cycling for every round). I would appreciate any feedback so I don't do anything that could get me in trouble.

Many thanks,
Rob

You can put a forward pistol grip on it if you register it as an AOW (any other weapon) and pay the fee (I think it's $5, but I could be wrong).

I think the shoulder stock would make your pistol into an SBR (short barreled rifle) even if it was a pistol and not a rifle to begin with.

The trigger-crank is not an issue. I think that's the only modification you mentioned that does not require paperwork.

If I remember correctly you can put a forward grip on a pistol (like the new ones with rails) with no paperwork. You must have at least a 16 inch barrel to put a riflestock on a pistol.
I can't imagine why you would want a "crank" on a pistol but you can have one if you want it.

I can't imagine why you would want a "crank" on a pistol

...because I don't need a real (AKA real money) SMG. I was hoping to use the foregrip and stock to free up my strong hand to operate the crank, but I guess the foregrip will have to do... hopefully.

If not, it will work on my AR:D

If I remember correctly you can put a forward grip on a pistol (like the new ones with rails) with no paperwork.

A vertical forward pistol grip turns the weapon into an AOW, as previously mentioned. I would get a written statement from ATF prior to mounting any forward grip on a pistol. Their definition of vertical may not be the same as yours. A barrel extension or fake suppressor may be a easier/safer way to get something to hang on to.

IF you have a rifle conversion kit, like the ones selling for Glocks and 1911's, you can put the long barrel and shoulder stock onto your pistol frame and make it into a rifle. A shoulder stock by itself is a no-no unless registered as a SBR.

Trigger cranks are fine, as long as they remain manual. If you hook a drill motor or some other type device to turn the crank for you, you have made an unregistered machinegun. Remember that ATF are the ones that deemed a piece of string to be a machinegun. Be very careful with what you do.

If I remember correctly you can put a forward grip on a pistol (like the new ones with rails) with no paperwork.

Not unless you register it as an AOW! :eek:

If you just put a forward grip on a pistol, a LEO sees you, and you don't have the paperwork for it, you're going to Club Fed, period! Same with a shoulder stock, it becomes an instant SBR!

Might get a small fine; can't imagine doing time for attaching a vertical grip to a pistol. Bet it's never, ever, happened in the U.S.

Once BATFE is involved, I'd expect a home search at the very least.

I've been involved with owning NFA weapons, C&R license and asking ATF questions for over 20 years and haven't been visited yet.

Might get a small fine; can't imagine doing time for attaching a vertical grip to a pistol. Bet it's never, ever, happened in the U.S.

The penalty is 10 years in federal prison. Really want to bet?

Did you read the link above? It states --

A person may also send the handgun to a person licensed to manufacture NFA weapons. The manufacturer will install the fore grip on the firearm and register the firearm on an ATF Form 2. The manufacturer can then transfer the firearm back to the individual on an ATF Form 4, which results in a $5.00 transfer tax.

Which seems to me (if you have access to an NFA man.) that you could save yourself 200 bucks and just give him 5 bucks for the transfer.

I still say it's a stupid law though.:D

Did you read the link above? It states --

A person may also send the handgun to a person licensed to manufacture NFA weapons. The manufacturer will install the fore grip on the firearm and register the firearm on an ATF Form 2. The manufacturer can then transfer the firearm back to the individual on an ATF Form 4, which results in a $5.00 transfer tax.

Which seems to me (if you have access to an NFA man.) that you could save yourself 200 bucks and just give him 5 bucks for the transfer.

I still say it's a stupid law though.

Correct and he also pays the $200 build tax. He is going to pass that fee to you. If you find one that doesn't let me know. I have a lot of business for him.

An NFA manufacturer has to pay tax PER weapon just like every other Joe on the block? Not doubting you, just asking a question.

Yep, it's a tax to put it on the registry list.

I'm not sure about the govt contract and post 86 machineguns. But if they are building you a weapon, they pay the tax on the form 1 the same as you or I.

But if they are building you a weapon, they pay the tax on the form 1 the same as you or I.:D

"building", That's where it gets silly, attaching a vertical grip to an H&K with a light rail is like what, a 2 minute job with an allen wrench?

OH WELL, that's what they call "big" government I guess! :D

"building", That's where it gets silly, attaching a vertical grip to an H&K with a light rail is like what, a 2 minute job with an allen wrench?

OH WELL, that's what they call "big" government I guess!

Tell me about it. I just "built" a Mossberg 590. All I did was buy a 14" 590 minus the receiver and assemble the parts using a spare Mossberg 500 receiver that I had in a drawer. It cost me $200 tax just to attach the 590 mag tube and barrel. When I got the form 1 back from the ATF it took me 10 minutes to "build" my shotgun.

Correct and he also pays the $200 build tax. He is going to pass that fee to you. If you find one that doesn't let me know. I have a lot of business for him.

A Class 2 SOT (manufacturer) does not pay a tax on NFA items he makes. He makes the item and then has 24 hours to do an ATF FORM 2 (Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported). That is the reason for his paying the Special (occupational) tax aka SOT.

Hmm... what if we converted a handgun into a 'bullpup' configuration, in which the magazine sits behind the actual grip/trigger assembly?

Wacky idea, just pontificating :)

A Class 2 SOT (manufacturer) does not pay a tax on NFA items he makes. He makes the item and then has 24 hours to do an ATF FORM 2 (Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported). That is the reason for his paying the Special (occupational) tax aka SOT.

I stand corrected. That was the part I couldn't remember.

Back