Legal issues with "using" a SBR?

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=440210

a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

This section is dated 2003 and 2004. So maybe this was changed after I got my permit? News to me but seems like happy news!

Gregg

I own a few machine guns the cheapest of which is $7,000. If you are involved in a shooting the police usually collect the gun for evidence. Do you want your gun to be stored for a undetermined length of time under less the ideal conditions? I would rather use an easily replaceable gun.

By the way in some cases they have been know to scratch case ID numbers into the gun metal, do you want your expensive machine gun permanently disfigured?

I just read all the other posts, and a Remington $300 870 would do the job equally as well if not better than my $30,000 Thompson. I can go out and replace my Remington a lot easier than the Thompson and I don't care if someone uses a vibrating engraving tool to etch a case number into my Remington. I also own a 9MM and a .22 caliber calico semi-autos (both with 100 round magazines) I would choose the 9MM calico if the Remington was not handy.

I would rather use an easily replaceable gun.

I agree to a certain extent that using a Machine gun wouldn't be wise for several reasons. On the other hand, I don't get this romantic attachment to an SBR or non-NFA gun.

All that stuff is easily replaced relative to surviving a shooting. I mean.. they're just guns! It's not like they're perishable items. And they aren't going to store them in a salt water bath or something.

My local PD puts trigger tags on the gun and bags the pistols. And their property room is nice!

I have seen and heard of mutilation of fire arms by law enforcement using a vibrating marker tool, I did a google search but couldn't find any examples. Maybe I used the wrong search words but there is no doubt it happened because I have seen it.

I am a retired cop and when I was injured on the job I had to turn in my guns because I was unable to do my yearly qualification. I was very reluctant to turn in my personal guns to my own department but I oiled them and packed them as well as I could and when I got them back they were in the same condition they were when I surrendered them. But these guns were not part of evidence of a shooting, who knows what would have happened under different circumstances.

I live in Ada,OK , and I've thought about some of the same things, too. I thought about SBRing my Kel-tec PLR-16, but then I couldn't leave it loaded in my truck. As far as OK law goes, the PLR-16 and an AR-15 pistol are both in fact pistols, and they are covered by the OK Concealed Weapons Permit. You can carry them loaded on your person or in your vehicle.

In Oklahoma the max CCW caliber you can carry is 44mag. anything bigger is illeagle!
That is flat out wrong. .454 Casull, .45 ACP, .45 LC, and anything smaller in diameter is legal for your concealed carry piece. This includes a .223 AR-15 pistol, and it even includes a .308 Savage Striker pistol, provided you can conceal it. The power doesn't matter. It is only regulated by caliber (diameter) being no larger than .45.

Any concealed handgun when carried in a manner authorized by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, when loaded with any ammunition which is either a restricted bullet as defined by Section 1289.19 of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes or is larger than .45 caliber or is otherwise prohibited by law shall be deemed a prohibited weapon for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Before anyone asks, the restricted bullet in Section 1289.19 is of certain construction with very specific coatings designed to go through a body armor vest or shirt of ten (10) plies or more of bullet resistant material. It is not restricted because of caliber.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section "open" means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

No CWL, rifle and shotgun must be completely unloaded, chamber and magazine. In a '94 Winchester, this means a completely empty nonremovable tubular magazine. In a 1911, this means removing the magazine from the gun. You don't have to take every cartridge out of the magazine; you do have to take the magazine out of the pistol.

With a CWL, you can have the magazine loaded; however, the chamber still has to be unloaded.

There are no laws concerning the storage of loaded removable magazines (like most pistol mags) or loose ammo. An chamber empty, magazine empty rifle or shotgun can be sitting on top of 1,000 rounds of ammo, and it doesn't make it loaded and illegal. You don't have to store magazines or ammo "out of arms reach" or "in a separate locked container" or "in a separate compartment."

Back