Legal issues with home made silencers?

Thats it really I like learning new stuff. Thanks for the tip I will try my best to find some and reinvent it based on what I can gather.

Can you make a silencer (suppressor) without paying the $200 and filling out forms? Sure. Absolutely. It has been done many times.

Of course if you try it out and someone decides you are a naughty boy and tells on you, the cost just to arrange bail will run maybe $10k, non-refundable. Not to mention lawyer's fees and the possibility of a big fine and jail time. Makes that $200 seem pretty small potatoes, at least to me.

Jim

If you can't afford the tax, then just tell yoursel you can't afford to build it. You certainly can't afford prison, right?

I am not sure I even want to build it if its going to cost me $200, this is a lot of money to someone like myself who could use that towards my business.

The flip side to this is, there won't be a business if you don't pay the $200 and you get busted. Kind of a catch22.

KyleH

I mostly just want to build one to use. Buying one would not be fun or interesting to me. Not to mention the cost involved, I am in college and run a small eBay business to fund that, I do not wish to spend the money for the suppressor and the tax stamp. I am not sure I even want to build it if its going to cost me $200, this is a lot of money to someone like myself who could use that towards my business.

Why would you use money from your business to fund this project if it can't absorb a $200 hit? $200 invested in a business really doesn't buy much anyways. Besides, it wouldn't come from the business but instead from your disposable profits income. Either way, you still have to pay the tax whether you make it or buy it and from the prices I have seen, it would be cheaper to just buy it if you are really interested. How would building one make it fun or interesting anyways? Its supposed to be fun and interesting when you shoot the gun and only hear a loud Poof. And the car muffler would work very well I think even if you don't pack it with anything depending on what you use it for but it will be unbearably heavy. Not to mention how funny it would look at the range. They would definately tease you on it being "home made".

You know....after reading this thread...I'm think I'm gonna get one of those NFA tax stamps before I buy another bottle of soda...just in case... :eek:

Back