Legal and practical question: could Ruger build a Mare's Laig, and should they? :)

1) Assuming we can get 10-rd mags, it'll hold 11 rounds versus your six.

2) You'd be holding it with one hand ahead of the action, one hand behind, a little like a subgun. That aids stability. Run a sling off the back of the grip and you could get "three point" stability impossible with a revolver. You can't do the same thing with a lanyard because it'd be too low from the barrel line, and without a second grip up ahead of the action, you couldn't control it.

3) With no cylinder gap, velocity goes up over a wheelgun.

4) First shot is just sweep the safety, like a 1911.

5) Follow-up shots won't match a DA wheelgun, but not bad and maybe worth it for the increased practical accuracy due to the improved two-handed grip.

It's basically a lever-action subgun in .44Mag :D.

YEAH, BUT

Why is 11 better than six if I need two hands to hold it?
How much more velocity can a person (me) get than a (my) 44 load from a Redhawk?
Where is the safety on my Redhawk?
At what distance would it be 'more accurate'?
How would it be better tactically?
Why are we up at oh-dark thirty foolin around on the 'net?
What time zone you in?

Heh. I'm on the west coast, so Jeez, it's 2:30am :eek:.

Whoops.

Anyways, you need two hands to use a rifle too. This thing, with the sling done right, would have "some Rifle-like handling properties".

At indoor, "room-clearing" ranges, the only advantage would be firepower (assuming 10rd mags). Except that the sling might aid "instinctive shooting" if it's so dark you can't see the sights.

With one hand up forward of the action, toggling a light mounted up there would be simple. And it'd be easier to maneuver than a real rifle, so it'd have some interesting properties in home defense.

Outdoors, at longer ranges, the ability to use a sling could really aid long distance shooting.

SO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS........

..........it's cool.

I can shoot my Redhawks with one hand (not just CAN, but HAVE).

1911 points for me (ever hold a Glock? hahahahahahaha).

And you want Ruger to build it so you can shoot heavies.

(Somebody yesterday asked me what he should get for an "assault rifle". I told him 30-30 lever gun.)

In the #23 issue of 'Guns of the Old West', there is an article about a Mare's Laig being produced by Eagle Squadron Productions in Burbank, CA. They convert vintage Winchester 92's and both firing & non-firing models were being produced. That's the good news...:) Not so good news is that the price is $2850...:(

I'd prefer one made from a Winchester or Marlin. If we are going to build something entirely for the kewl factor, then go with one more like the one McQueen used in the TV show. I watched that show in repeats as a kid. The gun and McQueen's character WERE cool, but I found Richard Boone's character and weapons from "Have Gun, will Travel" even cooler.

Back